Optics suggestions for AR-varmint build?

dennishoddy

Like Jesse said, good glass if you can afford it. A 3X9 is all the magnification needed. Most of the time on varmints it will be dialed down to 3 anyway. Get two out at the same time, the second one will be running after shooting the first.
Some may argue, but I'd shy away from the whiz bang scopes that have circles or hash marks for trajectory compensation.
Build a load for your rifle, shoot it at different ranges, side winds, etc and memorize the data.
By the time you see a varmint, you don't have time to be fiddling with range finders, or scope adjustments.

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
buy the upper, lower and the can separately. You register and have the the SBR lower engraved, which saves you money. Anyone can buy the sbr upper as it is not the controlled component and then buy a can.
cheapest way around and you can spec it a little more for your tastes.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
striped1 said:
buy the upper, lower and the can separately. You register and have the the SBR lower engraved, which saves you money. Anyone can buy the sbr upper as it is not the controlled component and then buy a can.
cheapest way around and you can spec it a little more for your tastes.
why would you want an SBR for Varmint?

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
think he got the wrong thread, there was one hitting last night that was about a 300 BO with a pinned can.

Once we know the budget we can start making recomendations. The thing about varmits is that they might be at 400 or they might pop out behind a bush at 20 before you see them. I guess that is the fun of it. My go to varmit gun is a custom Encore with a 24" full bull, bushnell 3200 5X15X50. It was about 300 new and has worked out to 580 yards. (i don't recommend that with a 32 grain bullet btw, lethal but barely even when placed correctly). If you can stand to carry two long guns you can also think of going with higher power optic and also carrying a shotgun for the close stuff.

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
i guess i assumed coyotes since tis the season... so i guess on top of budget we need to know what varmits exactly you will be shooting??

SheepDogK-10

Fanatic
Ryan Muller said:
i guess i assumed coyotes since tis the season... so i guess on top of budget we need to know what varmits exactly you will be shooting?
Mainly Yotes!!! but would love to go to a dog town someday. I have an sbr but the optic I am looking for is going to go on an 18" 1 and 8 twist build.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Look at the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42. Forum member here swears by his. The 6500 line is still made by LOW in Japan. I have a customer right now looking at putting one on a Stag 3G for a coyote and longer range plate ringer.

dennishoddy

SheepDogK-10 said:
Mainly Yotes!!! but would love to go to a dog town someday. I have an sbr but the optic I am looking for is going to go on an 18" 1 and 8 twist build.
Everything I said about a 3X9 goes out the window if your looking at prairie dogs. Then you need the 6X24X50 or better.

Friend of mine is a Game Ranger that used to have the panhandle of Ok as his territory. He said that Rv's would pull in on some of the prairie rat locations, and pull out bench rest rifles with huge barrels, shooting them out to 1000 yds and beyond.

You can get the dumb ones up close, but the game is long range.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
Look at the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42. Forum member here swears by his. The 6500 line is still made by LOW in Japan. I have a customer right now looking at putting one on a Stag 3G for a coyote and longer range plate ringer.
I have one of these on my AR. It is a nice scope. The magnification range is fantastic. I haven't tested it out to any distance yet though. I do wish it would have been Mil/Mil or moa/moa.

Docneeley

Well-Known Fanatic
I put a Weaver classic 6-24 on a AR I had made for varmint shooting (by Mean Green) and I've used it for sage rats aka ground squirrels 3 years running and it's good to 400 yds. (I'm not good beyond that). I also do a Montana prairie dog trip and it's always performed well. In fact I bought a second AR for competing because I didn't want to dither with the MG AR set-up.

Latest posts