Optics for bad vision

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems to be a lot of attention to AR's lately, so here's a question. I have a vision related disability, my right eye only has the lower half of the normal field of view. Woke up one day with that, and doc's say it won't return. Being right eye dominate, and right handed, there went all my scopes. Switched to red dots, on everything, unlimited eye relief, use two eyes, no problem. I have read a lot on 2-3-or 5 power prism "scopes", seems they function much like a red dot, but most list the eye relief at 2-3 inches. Anyone know of something like this that is magnified, and still viewable with both eyes? I can hit steel with what I have at 100 yards, as long as the steel is bright, but no go past that. 2 or 3 X would be a gamechanger for these old eyes!

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
The only optic I can think of would be an ACOG. They are about the only optic, at least a magnified one, that I'm able to shoot with both eyes open.

Last edited:

awp101

Well-Known Fanatic
What about adding a magnifier to your current dot?

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
The only optic I can think of would be an ACOG. They are about the only optic, at least a magnified one, that I'm able to shoot with both eyes open.
Thanks, I'll try to locate one and give it a look through. As far as a magnifier is concerned, from what I.ve see, they look more like a scope, so too limited an eye relief distance. Great idea though. The V.A. doc's told me this was a result of taking one of my daily pills, (a blood pressure med.) in the evening, instead of in the morning. Caused the blood pressure to drop too low, and acted like a mini stroke or something in the optic nerve. If you take something like this, don't take it at night. (It's a ***** getting old)

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, I'll try to locate one and give it a look through. As far as a magnifier is concerned, from what I.ve see, they look more like a scope, so too limited an eye relief distance. Great idea though. The V.A. doc's told me this was a result of taking one of my daily pills, (a blood pressure med.) in the evening, instead of in the morning. Caused the blood pressure to drop too low, and acted like a mini stroke or something in the optic nerve. If you take something like this, don't take it at night. (It's a ***** getting old)
Holy ****. What are you taking ? because I switched to taking mine at night cause it was making me sleepy during the day.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Holy ****. What are you taking ? because I switched to taking mine at night cause it was making me sleepy during the day.
Either Atenolol or HCTZ , not sure which one they thought did it. They acted like it was no surprise, must have seen it before.
I was pissed because they never mentioned the risk before. Been on this stuff since a heart attack 12 years ago. Ask your doc if you take this kind of stuff, about the risk factor.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Either Atenolol or HCTZ , not sure which one they thought did it. They acted like it was no surprise, must have seen it before.
I was pissed because they never mentioned the risk before. Been on this stuff since a heart attack 12 years ago. Ask your doc if you take this kind of stuff, about the risk factor.
Thanks for the info Mike. I will be calling him today. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way. Stay well my friend. Phil

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, I'll try to locate one and give it a look through. As far as a magnifier is concerned, from what I.ve see, they look more like a scope, so too limited an eye relief distance. Great idea though. The V.A. doc's told me take one of my daily pills, (a blood pressure med.) in the morning (not evenings). Caused the blood pressure to drop too low, and acted like a mini stroke or something in the optic nerve. If you take something like this, don't take it at night. (It's a ***** getting old)
@Mike D
Hey now - getting old is ok too ! You have a lot to pass on & share with others, like. children, maybe grand children too - including advice on taking blood pressure Rx's in the mornings.
So, Jesus is not done with you yet, and neither are we ;-)
Sorry about the eye problem, but thank God for red dots & ACOG !
Keep the faith bro!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
@Mike D
Hey now - getting old is ok too ! You have a lot to pass on & share with others, like. children, maybe grand children too - including advice on taking blood pressure Rx's in the mornings.
So, Jesus is not done with you yet, and neither are we ;-)
Sorry about the eye problem, but thank God for red dots & ACOG !
Keep the faith bro!
And GREEN DOTS, gotta love those!
BTW, my grandkids usually go from BB/pellet guns to .22's when they grow enough arm to aim a cricket.
And 10/4 on that BP medicine in the morning

Latest posts