Opinions for Optics for Ruger Gunsite

BenMara

Well-Known Fanatic
So i have this Ruger Gunsite, I want to put a non-scout Optic on it.
Ordered the XS rail to bring back the Optic to conventional Position.
Just need an optic now.
Was lookin at the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T in a 50mm but dont know what magnification to go with.

Tkx
Ben

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Dude whats the price on the LR/T? I know it aint cheap. Let me know what your price range is and I will make some recommendations. How far do you want to shoot? I had a MK4 LR/T 4-14x50 w/ the TMR retical and dealer on it was $1100 and honestly there is much better cheaper optics than the MK4. I was a die hard Leupold man for years but after looking first hand through some other brands I have opened up to better things. Leupold is nice but really you are paying for the name!!

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Enjay said:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2237&cid=36
I read this article just the other day and have been thinking about checking out Redfield scopes for my M1 Carbine. Haven't seen any locally but I hadn't been looking for them until now.

I have a redfield on my .17HMR. I like it ok. Would be a great addition to the M1 for a day time only scope. Redfield is made by leupold but it is a entry model quality scope. Price of my redfield was $160. With the way he mentioned a LR/T Leupold I can say there is no comparison of the two. Totally different level of glass and turrets between the two. That would be a close comparison of a BMW compared to a suzuki. If you are a daytime shooter you would love it on the M1. If you are a dusk or dawn hunter you want the most light quality % you can get and all of the Redfield scopes are equal to about a Leupold VX-I on low light percentage. I took my redfield in the stand with me one night and couldn't see much of anything at dusk but picked up my Leupold VX-II and was able to see clearly for another 15-20 min which is normally when the deer come out in my opinion. Now with that being said I had a 50mm objective on my leupold and a 40mm on the Redfield so it really wasn't a fair fight because the objective is where it gets its light. Just my two cents. I have researched scopes day and night for years.

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Honestly hands down... Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50mm with the MRAD Retical. $799 delivered. Great piece of glass. My friend has one local if you want to see one before you buy. I have a contact on where to get it without a 4 month wait. The gen before Jan was bad so they recalled it redesigned it and now you cant find them cause everybody has them back ordered. My next scope will either be that model or its big brother the RAZOR HD. $1599 Delivered.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't comment on the Nightforce or US Optics stuff but I can offer you a look thru my Vortex Viper 1x4 PST.
I think M16MANIAC has a US Optics scope on something but I've never really played with it.

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
My long range instructor has all 3. I was able to look through them all. For the money the PST is very clear...As clear as the $1500-$2500 scope...NO but it is still very clear. I personally had a MK4 and if I had to put the two in a clarity meter I would have to say they are about equal. If you want to look through one just let me know. I know several people who have them.

Latest posts