Open Carry Holsters

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I was thinking IWB its less obtrusive then OWB less likely to stick out and scream guy with a gun. And I think loosely concealed is the closest I really want to come to OC.

Still need that job that let's me carry and a good belt that's no designs is semi polished and is stiff for carry.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
A summer special clone Like that MP is in (post above) is very very secure. Now the gun is not retained, but you wont loose the holster.

Start reading the holster cataloges... everybody sells a summer special clone and a few have thumb breaks. Those straps are more positive tha J hooks.

Many people find IWB holsters uncomfortable... I am the odd duck who really likes them. They are Universal more or less... cover a lot of gun... are hard to get too... and easy enough to get on and off.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
something like this spreads the weight along the belt and hip better. Most shops make a holster similar to this that can be use OWB or convertable... Thumbreak or friction screw

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am like Jeff, I like IWB carry and if I ever did "open" carry, it would likely still be with the same holster only without a cover garment

My Open Carry

2012-05-18_11-41-00_717.jpg

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Get a belt that is of durable leather construction with a piece of kydex sewn (not just sammiched) into the belt between the layers of leather. The 5.11 version is cheaper than the custom folks but it doesn't hold up as well over time and the kydex is not sewn in. When the kydex breaks from use the holes will misalign inside the belt. You can get a nice belt that has a casual appearance for around $80 or less.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I was at the range this morning and on the way out I saw a guy at the counter that had double leg rigs with nickel coated, colt style revolvers. It totally looked like something Clint Eastwood would have worn in a western. I instantly thought he was there getting them ready for open carry. lol :)

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
ya know... we are sorta backwards engineering this holster thing

Back in the 70's the belt holster hit it's golden age for plainclothed use. It was secure... the thumbreak was a gian leap forward from the Tom Threepersons hammer strap.. those holsters tucked up tight, were hard to see and pretty hard to get a straight grab on unless you had "the angle"

Most of these popular holsters and Kydex itself have evolved to meet the demands of a CC practicioner. If the guns covered,,, and we dont have to grapple with and handcuff people- the retention went away. After all -cant see it, so it's not there-right? The little clips and doodads to attach the rig to the belt followed the same rationalisation.

Rent most of the Cop shows from the 70's and 80's... you will get a primer on the care and feeding of a good plainclothes OC holster LOL

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
After I read Brandons review on the S&S IWB in the blog I ordered one it is pretty easy to take on and off with the snaps the gun holds secure and its comfortable it is similar to the ones Jeff posted above

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
something like this spreads the weight along the belt and hip better. Most shops make a holster similar to this that can be use OWB or convertable... Thumbreak or friction screw
Who makes these and where can I get them. I have looked online with no luck... but then again I'm trying to find one for a m&p. I found some almost like those models but I didn't like them as well. They also had some reviews saying the were to bulky Iwb but were fine for OWB.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
ALS for sure.

Just a thought.....a person could make the comparison of thumb breaks & retention to external safeties in an emergency situation.
I hear alot of folks talking about the liability of having an external (Thumb) safety on a carry weapon, what about holster straps, locks etc?
ALS for sure.

Just a thought.....a person could make the comparison of thumb breaks & retention to external safeties in an emergency situation.
I hear alot of folks talking about the liability of having an external (Thumb) safety on a carry weapon, what about holster straps, locks etc?

It's all about training AND being familiar with your gear. I have experienced this and glad I was in a hurry and not in harms way. Caused me to standardized the type of holster and firearm. Though I did switch from a Nova to a M2 every month or so and yes I had to keep reminding myself were the safety was. What Wall stated is very true especially for the guys and gals shooting a lot of competition. and carrying.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
The best option whether carrying CC or OC is an inside-the-waistband kydex holster with durable synthetic loops that come out and go around a belt. The next best design is the same holster of leather construction. Both are less valuable, though, when not paired with honest (read: The gorilla isn't taking it easy on you but is instead treating you like the guy he just found crawling into his daughter's bedroom window at 2am) training like Swavy mentioned.

Agree with the entire post. Though the statement above is only geared to holster being removed.

Let's not forget the awareness and training. If one wants to OC then they differently need retention training and the starting point like all else is awareness.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Something like a Comp Tac Infidel will work pretty well for your purposes. You can throw it IWB, snap the loops and carry it openly, concealed, or loosely concealed with that light covering garment. Get to work, pop the snaps and throw it in the glovebox. Again, it doesn't have to be this holster but something like it should work well for those purposes, especially now that we have open carry options.

http://www.comp-tac....?products_id=68

I agree with Jeff on paddle holsters. They're a great range holster option if your OWB belt-slide holster has a paddle model brother. I would not open carry with one. The attachment point of the holster body to the top of the paddle is a weak point in a struggle. A very weak point. If you have to go OWB, go with a belt slide. The snap-on models like Jeff was talking about are a good option for your situation with work but I would look at an IWB with the same capabilities, first.

The infidel he mentioned with the leather loops looks very attractive to me. I might end up trying one for my Glock.

I won't use a paddle. Mostly by choice. But how secure are the loop snaps or j hooks? My guess ismost would give up the gun before said hooks/ loops break. I just don't want to invest in another useless holster.

I don't like kydex clips. No problem with the holster, but I've busted a couple kydex clips. Also, if it's something you might end up leaving in a car, especially in OK, I've had the clips relax when left in a vehicle in the summer.

Most of the snaps I've seen on holsters are "one way" snaps. If you pull from below, they will unsnap, from above they don't.

Latest posts