Old Lady shotgun

Joel Clouse

El Conquistador
Hey friends. Just had a family friend ask me to take her to buy a shotgun. She's in her 60's, chain smoking, scotch drinking, gruff old gal. She lives in her home alone, on the back side of a lay down 40. Her sister and brother-in law live on the other side of the property, far enough they couldn't hear anything. She wants a scatter gun for the scatter, and the intimidating sound of pumping the slide.

I would first encourage her to look at an 870, but I thought I'd throw it out to y'all to see if anything else should be a first go to. Aside from ease of operation, I would tell her to go with what feels best in her nicotine stained hands.

Watcha say???

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
12 ga: Mossberg 500 with a good pad. Lt, works, cheap - what else is there?
Short bbl, cly or IC choked with Rem 9 pellet Low Recoil 00 Buck. For the "spread" and lite recoil.
Tell her the Racking sound from the slide may not scare someone.
Teach her to hold up and call for assistance and to keep the shotgun within arms reach or it will be of no use when she needs it.
Outside motion sensor lights as well.

410: Mossberg pump or the Circuit Judge with the personal Defense loads. I would lean towards the circuit judge - less work for her.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Lots of nice old Stevens and Mossberg, H and R's etc hiding in the back of gunshops and pawns all over.

My house gun is a H R 401 cut to 19 inches.... about $100...

One thing... this Pump noise making bad people shat their pants and run like skeered little kids.... Myth.

A motivated bad guy won't care..plus his juices are flowing and he probably wont hear it anyway. If you think a killer will run over a noise... don't depend on it.

dennishoddy

The "racking the slide" thing is a Hollywood thing that will get somebody in trouble real quick.
First, there is an open chamber that must be loaded. Right off your sacrificing one round that may be needed later, and the sound just gave away your position. Not good.
Second, if a person takes a shot to an arm, or breaks it in a fight, a pump gun is almost useless unless you know the technique to operate a pump single handed. Very few people can master it, and it's slow.
I know I'm in the minority on this subject, but I recommend a quality auto loader for home defense. It can be shot single handed multiple times.
I've never bought into the widespread theory that a pump is more reliable. I've owned a mossberg 600AT that is Leo issued, and it jammed constantly. I've hunted with people that have had issues with extraction using pumps.
Any gun can have mechanical issues, be it pump or auto loader.
Just my opinion.

Joel Clouse

El Conquistador
Very good. I've never been a big shotgun for home defense fan, I'm a clays shooter with 28" and 30" barrels on my rigs. I always hated the thought of coming around a corner 5 seconds after my barrel announced us.

That said, I haven't started visiting with her about how to handle one, or to dispell any myths. I agree that it makes no sense to have an empty weapon and hope the act of chambering resolves the threat. So we'll start to look for good scatter gun, and since money is of no concern for her, get her one she likes that has a good reputation.

Thanks for the input!

Spiff

Semi-Pro
12 ga: Mossberg 500 with a good pad. Lt, works, cheap - what else is there?
Short bbl, cly or IC choked with Rem 9 pellet Low Recoil 00 Buck. For the "spread" and lite recoil.
Tell her the Racking sound from the slide may not scare someone.
Teach her to hold up and call for assistance and to keep the shotgun within arms reach or it will be of no use when she needs it.
Outside motion sensor lights as well.

410: Mossberg pump or the Circuit Judge with the personal Defense loads. I would lean towards the circuit judge - less work for her.

Mother of God. Is your signature long enough now?

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
ditto the rack the pump thing!! go with an auto, 20ga, and keep it loaded.
When Kurt and I give classes the guns most likely to malfunction are the pumps!
and most of them are operator induced, 20ga is all she needs, slugs or #3 buck is perfect for defense or eliminating any varmint that needs it. If she can handle a 12ga then go with it.

trapr

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Auto vs pump comments are spot on. I like the 20ga, but low recoil buck is pretty soft, though a 1100LT in 20 with a 21" barrel would be sweet and I don't like the 1100s ;-).but those LTs are sweet.

Still think the Circut Judge would be dandy though I have not shot one as of yet. I have Judges though a bud's mother has one nad though it really is a bit big for her she loves it and can hit with it. She is at least late 60s if not older and goes maybe 85ish pounds.

Don't think FC in any flavor would be good for her use if she is wanting spread, .

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Either way she goes she needs to do more than shoot it once and put it in the closet. I am an advocates for keeping the chamber empty. But from what you described she needs a side by side coach gun..... Just seems to fit the bill with the scotch and cigs :)

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Very good. I've never been a big shotgun for home defense fan, I'm a clays shooter with 28" and 30" barrels on my rigs. I always hated the thought of coming around a corner 5 seconds after my barrel announced us.

That said, I haven't started visiting with her about how to handle one, or to dispell any myths. I agree that it makes no sense to have an empty weapon and hope the act of chambering resolves the threat. So we'll start to look for good scatter gun, and since money is of no concern for her, get her one she likes that has a good reputation.

Thanks for the input!

Shotguns are great. Tactics to go with shotgun?.... that's the part everybody want's to skip.

Clearing a room or pie-ing a corner with a long gun is a skill that needs to be taught and mastered if you decide to take it up. Long guns are a lot easier to "take away" than handguns-- the length can be used against you, it's a lever.

That's why most defensive trainers don't really teach it... and if they do it's with the caveat that house clearing should be left for dire situations.

Shot guns shine when you "fall back" to a safe room. Find a spot in a room where you can use cover... and wait for your bad guy to come to you... if he elects to fill the "vertical coffin" of that rooms door frame... it's pretty easy to hit him. BONUS- it's his choice to come to you-- looks pretty good to a Grand Jury if it comes up later.

Mindset, skillset, gearset

Latest posts