Newbe to competition

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
Been lurking around the forumn some and think that I may want to try competition shooting hop[efully to become better shooting my stuff. I am not sure which way to get started. Should i go IDPAS or IPSC, maybe 3 gun but I don't have a shot gun that I think would work for 3 gun. Also with work qand other issues there is not alot of time for me to drive across the state to go to matches. So what should I look at for local competition in the OKC area? What kind of equipment is required? Any clubs around that have members that can teach an old dog tricks?

TroyF

TheBearcat
For some USPSA: Just show up at H&H next Sunday, the 9th, around 5:30. Bring your pistol (and as many mags as you have), a holster, some way to stow your mags, 200 rounds, and 15 bucks.

We squad up and every squad has a squad mom. Tell said squad mom you are new, and they'll get ya thru the match. Usually squad moms are folks like: Cyrwus, Chris Anderson, JT, Mitch, me......

H&H is a good match to start at. Friendly. Stages aren't overwhelmingly complicated. I remember the days when it was 20 shooters. Now it's probably the 2nd biggest monthly match in the State.

TroyF

TheBearcat
December match had 54 shooters.

I know, right? Crazy, huh....
I still say it's a really really good match for someone just cutting their teeth. I remember my first match, Richard Shelley and Mike Boren showed me around. Richard: "Now Troy, you gotta shoot two at everything that is brown. Don't hit the white. And do it fast". Classic.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I know, right? Crazy, huh....
I still say it's a really really good match for someone just cutting their teeth. I remember my first match, Richard Shelley and Mike Boren showed me around. Richard: "Now Troy, you gotta shoot two at everything that is brown. Don't hit the white. And do it fast". Classic.
well, it looks like you've taken his advice, 5th overall in December.

TroyF

TheBearcat
well, it looks like you've taken his advice, 5th overall in December.

First time shooting Limited. First time shooting that gun. I usually do better in Production. But I'm gonna ride this Limited thing out.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Seeing as he just asked the question last night, I wasn't aware of any matches between 8:31pm yesterday and 7:28am today, but I could be wrong... :lol:

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Seeing as he just asked the question last night, I wasn't aware of any matches between 8:31pm yesterday and 7:28am today, but I could be wrong... :lol:

Lol! I could have sworn that I had read this one before. I guess we will see you at H&H next Sunday night.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Id say shoot them all!!! They all will improve your shooting skills. I can guarantee that! The easiest match to start with is the match at Heartland outdoors on the 3rd Sumday night. Next would be the H&H match. There is the best match in OK at OKCGC Saturday if you don't mind the cold. They usually have 5-10 new shooters every month so you can definately have a good time there too as a new shooter.

The 3 gun gear discussion is a long one so we can jump into that next.

For a USPSA pistol match at okcgc or HH you need the ability to hold about 40-50 rounds of ammo in your mags. So If you have 50 ten round mags or three 17 round mags your good to go. Mag pouches, you don't need them but they make you faster which means you'll have more fun. You will want between 2-5 of them depending on division. Holster, this isn't negotiable. You gotta have one.

What kind of pistol and rifle do you have? If you're lacking some gear we can get you rigged up.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
for the heartland match you can load up your gun and most (if not all) you will only need 2 mags... for the other matches you will need 4 mags, fyi..

Latest posts