New/used truck... Woo-hoo... (finally got around to taking photos of it).

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Goodbye to my old 2012 Ford Escape SUV, with just over 112,000 miles. It was time. It was showing its age, and the overhead sunroof was starting to leak during a downpour.

Say "Hello" to my new/used 2017 GMC Canyon extended cab pickup truck! V6, leather seats, SiriusXM, backup camera, and the matching hard fiberglass tonneau cover! :cool:

DSC_0479.JPG

Over this past weekend, my wife and I found it at Carmax.

Now, now, now, Carmax is a great place, great sales, great used vehicles. They don't sell JUNK, if you know what I mean. All their stuff is basically 5,6,7 years old max, and rarely 70/k, 80/k, mileage. Top quality cars/trucks - check the VIN against Carfax or whatever. It's all 100% legit.

But with that said. When it comes to haggling with trade-in. That's where it can get a bit testy and/or a bit uneasy or ugly. In my case I had a 2012 Ford Escape SUV with 112,000 with a leaky sunroof, but yet, everything was fine. Power this, power that, everything was perfect, you know? No serious mechanical issues, other than a wet a$$ during a heavy downpour.
Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, Nada Guides, etc... all quoted $3000 for dealer trade-in.
Carmax? M... F.... low-balled me, and only gave me $2200 for the 2012 Escape. :mad: My wife said, "fine, fine, whatever.." and wouldn't let me haggle over the trade-in. She HATED having to drive my Ford Escape, because it smelled "musty" from wet carpeting, and because I always had "Ozzy's Boneyard" (heavy metal) cranking on SiriusXM satellite radio.

So:
She has her Nissan Rogue that she drives and I (occasionally) drive. But, God forgive me, if I switch the radio stations and put on hard rock/metal radio stations, satellite radio... :rolleyes:
And now I have my beautiful GMC Canyon pickup, that she can drive if she wants, if I'm out on my Honda Shadow motorcycle....

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks.... It's hilarious when you look at the CD rack by the entertainment center. Margaret's CD's absolutely cannot be associated with mine. She's all into that Carpenters, John Denver, mellow early 70's soft rock. My stuff is all Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc...

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Update... Update...

I got back home late yesterday afternoon, after spending a few days down at the off-base housing units near the USMC Base & Recruit Depot Parris Island. I was visiting my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids (5 yr old & 2 yr old toddler). Edit: the 2 yr old (10 mos back then) can be seen in my avatar, sitting in my lap.

I-95 straight down... blah blah blah... 95 south... 95 south... wake me when it's over... LOL! :p

2017 GMC Canyon SLT, 73,200 miles, excellent condition, 3.6L V6, 8-speed tranny, etc...

NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

913 miles round trip - including pull overs for gas, pee, grab McDonald's for lunch.
Cruise control set on 75mph, SiriusXM cranking on either "60's Gold" or "The Beatles Channel".

A few Marines spotted my truck in the housing units, and came over to hang out with my son-in-law and get introduced to me as a retired "Coastie". Very cool... They loved my GMC Canyon and joked about if it was theirs, they tweak it, lift the suspension or chassis or whatever. Sorry boys, ain't happening. It's a beautiful, fully loaded, "grandpa truck", and going to stay that way.

There is a decal on the driver's side jump seat door window: US Army Reserve (previous owner was in the Reserves) - assuming based out of Ft A.P. Hill here in Virginia, according to the Carfax detailed report.
Me: Retired US Coast Guard.
A few days vacation: Visiting the USMC Base down in Parris Island, Beaufort, SC.
Next.... I need to visit a Navy base, and visit an Air Force base.
I guess my truck should be nicknamed "Chief" or "Gunny" as an E-7 ranking, and will always honor our troops! :cool:

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Finally got around to uploading a photo from Halloween, of my GMC Canyon backed into their (short) driveway. My daughter was upstairs, trying to get the grandkids to put on their costumes, and get ready for trick-or-treating. My son-in-law (out of the picture on the right) and I were sitting out front, enjoying some cold Yuengling beer.

Like all military families in off-base housing units - that have a garage - it becomes a wasteland of "stuff"... LOL...

20231031_181349.jpg

Latest posts