New (OlSly) Guy

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Whats up all? new hear and damn anxious to get into my first match. 3 gun is my ultimate goal but until i get an AR i'm looking to shoot some pistol competitions. IPSC and steel challange matches look like a blast. any recommendations about which i should try first?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Welcome to the forum!!!

The most basic action shooting competition is Steel Challenge. It is by far the least daunting match a beginner can shoot. That being said lots of guys shoot their first action shooting competition at USPSA/IPSC or IDPA or even 3 gun. They are all new shooter friendly. Just start slow and be safe. The closest match to you is stuff at Ponca City Rifle & Pistol Club. They shoot both steel challenge and USPSA.

Here is the monthly match calendar.

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9-oklahoma-and-surrounding-area-matches/

U should Come shoot 3 gun with us next weekend. Saturday is 3 gun OKC Gun club. Sunday is rifle/shotgun at USSA in Tulsa.

What guns are u currently planning on shooting? If you lack something several of us have more than one Of everything and would be more than willing to let you use one to get started.

dennishoddy

Welcome to BoomerShooter. Come shoot with us at the Ponca range any time. We have members that live in Enid. You don't have to be a member to shoot the matches. See you on the range!

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum!!!

The most basic action shooting competition is Steel Challenge. It is by far the least daunting match a beginner can shoot. That being said lots of guys shoot their first action shooting competition at USPSA/IPSC or IDPA or even 3 gun. They are all new shooter friendly. Just start slow and be safe. The closest match to you is stuff at Ponca City Rifle & Pistol Club. They shoot both steel challenge and USPSA.

Here is the monthly match calendar.

http://www.boomersho...g-area-matches/

U should Come shoot 3 gun with us next weekend. Saturday is 3 gun OKC Gun club. Sunday is rifle/shotgun at USSA in Tulsa.

What guns are u currently planning on shooting? If you lack something several of us have more than one Of everything and would be more than willing to let you use one to get started.

thanks for the welcome everyone! i currently have a beretta 92 fs and a benelli nova pump. Perhaps not the greatest 3 gun starter kit but its what i have. i'm looking to get an AR in the near future. a buddy of mine just bought an M&P 15 sport for about $610. i know its an entry level AR but what are your opinions of it? i'd like to get started as cheaply as possible until i'm sure this is something i want to make a big investment in.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Here on the forums between Wall and Bigbrowndog aka trapr they can get you what you need in the way of parts and mods for the Nova, so it runs like a Nova SS :) The Nova has a lot going for it and may be the best manual/pump gun for the games.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Here on the forums between Wall and Bigbrowndog aka trapr they can get you what you need in the way of parts and mods for the Nova, so it runs like a Nova SS :) The Nova has a lot going for it and may be the best manual/pump gun for the games.

I do love my benelli and i cant wait to knock down some steel with it. besides a tube extension, what else would i need for it?

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are gathering gear for the shotgun this is a pretty sweet deal.
http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6166-4th-man-mountain-engineering-caddy-group-buy/page__st__20

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are gathering gear for the shotgun this is a pretty sweet deal.
http://www.boomersho...uy/page__st__20

I've been looking all over for shell caddys. seems like the cheapest ones ive found are the california competition works caddys. i've found them as cheaply as $21. are they junk ? the ones you've copied me on are more than twice that price. am i going to have buyers remorse if i go with the cheaper ones?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The man mountain engineering caddies are the best out there IMHO. They are also the most expensive. Kurt Miller is arguably one of the fastest shotgun loaders in the world and he uses the Choate machine and tool caddies which ate the veapest out there. The Calufornia competition works caddies will definitely get the job done. They are well made too. Make sure you buy them from Briwnells and go to Brownells by clicking thru the banner ad on the right hand side of the forum. When u do this the forum get 5% back on your purchase. It helps us keep the lights on so late:)

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Jesse. Appreciate the feedback. When im ready to buy (which will be quite soon) I'll be sure to do that.

Latest posts