New (night)sights for P226

Charlie-2-6

Active Fanatic
Not sure where to post this, so mods if out of my lane, please move this post.

For the past 8 years or so, I've been shooting my P226 with adjustable night sights from MMC. Reasoning behind the adjustable sights was simple: I tend to switch ammo brands on a regular basis. Perhaps 'cause I live close to the Dutch border, but for training I look for good-value-for-money ammo, so I've been switching between S&B, Fiochi, Leader, Limit (factory reloads), ... with bulletweights ranging between 115gr & 124gr. Ammo doesn't come cheap, so I look for good (bargain) deals which still make my pistol function in a safe, reliable way.
Why the nightsights: seemed like a cool idea back then, but have to admit that I don't regret the decision.

Recently the rearsight has become "wobbly", i.e. under recoil it sorta flips up or down. The quick fix was Loctite, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution and since MMC seems to no longer exist .... why not shop around and see what's out there.

Usage of the pistol: recreational shooting in the form of IPSC/IDPA like matches and practical shooting with some likeminded rangebuddies - "social" use & CCW are not allowed here & using it when a "o fxxk what was that noise" at o' dark 30 is not received very well by our government. The perp needs to come at you with some pretty heavy artillery to get cleared in court. A castle law like in Florida will never occur overhere in Lalaland.

So I've been browsing the world wide web and came across names like Mepro, Warren, Dawson, XS, LPA, ....

One big prerequisite is that I need to be able to swap the sights myself with no gunsmithing in the form of milling of part of the slide. They need to be sortoff "drop in" in that makes sense.

So I'd like to hear your opinions on why to go with brand A, B, C or why not.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Have/ or had all of the below except for the Heini, but many friends do

Mepro (NS), Warren (Tac & Comp), Dawson (adj), XS (big nad small dots), Truglo (Brite Sigts), Heini (Staight 8 and w/ rear notch enlarged)

Try to get behind the sights or at least see pics of the sights.

For speed XS Big Dot
Accuracy (ease of) Dawson adj
Great combination of speed and accuracy Warren
Best low light Truglo with XS big dot still for speed but the mepros provide a viable alternative to a low light sight.
My opinion only YMMV.

Have no dealings with sights on a 226 but the sight picture will be the same be it a Glock or a Sig or a turd.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
IMO no reason to get night sights for a gun that will only ever be shot at targets. I like fiber optics more for range guns.

That said I had Heinie Straight-8 night sights on a P225 I used to have and they were OK. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten Warrens though.

Latest posts