New Guy in South Carolina

n2spilot

Fanatic
Hey All,

I'm in my 60's now but spent most of my life in the Los Angeles metro area. As a teenager, I read everything written by Jeff Cooper and got a Colt MkIV Series 70 at age 16, the first of many 1911's over the years. I was fortunate to live three miles from Jim Hoag's shop and he did a trigger job and installed much better fixed sights and a larger thumb safety on that gun. After serving three years in the army, I returned to the LA area and was a police officer and detective for 25 years, before fleeing California for North Carolina. I now live just across from Charlotte in Fort Mill, SC. While I no longer carry a 1911 for self defense, it is still my favorite handgun.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey All,

I'm in my 60's now but spent most of my life in the Los Angeles metro area. As a teenager, I read everything written by Jeff Cooper and got a Colt MkIV Series 70 at age 16, the first of many 1911's over the years. I was fortunate to live three miles from Jim Hoag's shop and he did a trigger job and installed much better fixed sights and a larger thumb safety on that gun. After serving three years in the army, I returned to the LA area and was a police officer and detective for 25 years, before fleeing California for North Carolina. I now live just across from Charlotte in Fort Mill, SC. While I no longer carry a 1911 for self defense, it is still my favorite handgun.
Welcome to the clan sir. You have an interesting story. I'd have loved to meet Mr. Jim Hoag. Read a lot about him, and have seen pictures of his work. so many of the pioneers have left far too soon. Hope you enjoy your time here, this is a wonderful bunch, with a load of wisdom.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hey All,

Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

n2spilot

Fanatic
Welcome to the clan sir. You have an interesting story. I'd have loved to meet Mr. Jim Hoag. Read a lot about him, and have seen pictures of his work. so many of the pioneers have left far too soon. Hope you enjoy your time here, this is a wonderful bunch, with a load of wisdom.
Mr. Hoag was such a nice man. Looking back, I'm amazed how he tolerated me, who as a dumb teenager, would drop in at his shop and interrupt his work to answer my many questions so that I would more wisely spend my meager part-time after school income on guns and accessories. He would then show me something interesting he was working on such as one of his long slide guns or the line of Gordon Davis holsters he carried. Later when I became a police officer, I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 19, and Jim did a trigger job on it, cut the square butt to a round butt and grooved the back strap. I carried that gun six years before we transitioned to semi-autos.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Mr. Hoag was such a nice man. Looking back, I'm amazed how he tolerated me, who as a dumb teenager, would drop in at his shop and interrupt his work to answer my many questions so that I would more wisely spend my meager part-time after school income on guns and accessories. He would then show me something interesting he was working on such as one of his long slide guns or the line of Gordon Davis holsters he carried. Later when I became a police officer, I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 19, and Jim did a trigger job on it, cut the square butt to a round butt and grooved the back strap. I carried that gun six years before we transitioned to semi-autos.
That is great! Just curious, what became of the Smith 19? My first handgun was a Smith 19-4 4" barrel, blued. I got it in the mid 70's still have it and it looks brand new. I admit it's a safe queen. Great shooter!

n2spilot

Fanatic
Forgive the bad photos but I still have that Model 19 as well as my dad's Model 19 that he bought when I was 15. His wasn't shot much and is now a safe queen, but mine still gets shot every now and then.

Attachments

• IMG_7875.jpeg
    IMG_7875.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7878.jpeg
    IMG_7878.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

gunnutvet52

Fanatic
Hey All,

Welcome to the forum from Upstate SC .