Need to decide. PLEASE help me make the RIGHT decision!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield has excellent C/S. The one time I needed my experience was exceptional.
Don't be concerned about a difference in accuracy regardless of Kimber touting Match grade barrels and triggers. Both are production guns and will perform pretty much the same.
Not sure what the Springfield E series is. Do you mean Smith and Wesson E series?
By the way the Springfield Ronan is very nice for the money. If you have not seen it try to find one to look at as I think it is better than all the others you mention.
I'm sorry I did mean Smith and Wesson E-series 1911, with the scandium frame. Not Springfield. Get these gun makers confused.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Based on my experience with two or more of each, I'd go with Springfield. Overall, a bit better than the Kimber (except one, an early pre-II, Custom Target model) in fit, finish and a good "solid feel". Like was mentioned, Kimber can make a pretty 1911 (revolvers too!), but other than that Custom Target, they have all needed some help...minor, but still.
Now, they all shoot really well. But the Springfield guns have all been solid performers from the get go.
I keep hearing that, and good things about Sig 1911's as well. Dan Wesson, I've seen and heard bad things about their QC, especially the all SS models, the slides literally stuck to the frame so you cannot remove the slide from the frame. And DW accusing the customers of not lubricating the guns properly. Check out Riders Range video of his new DW all SS gun, NEVER seen a gun EVER do that!! A hammer couldn't get the slide off the frame, after its first six shots out of the box. Crazy! And I believe it's his six or seventh DW 1911. He KNOWS how to lubricate a DW 1911.

spacelordmaster

Active Fanatic
Gentlemen,
I'm TRYING to decide on three 1911's, which one to buy. ALL are, all Stainless steel, all are in the same ballpark price wise. I'm slightly leaning towards the Kimber's because of the "Match grade triggers and match-grade bull barrels", but unsure if Springfield has "match-grade triggers and barrels". Do they? That isn't specified on the Springfield. The Kimber barrels look a lot thicker (bull barrels) No idea?? So, we are talking $900.00 +- for any of the three. What would you buy?? Also, it may not have match-grade triggers and barrels, but is the Springfield as accurate? Is Springfield's warranty better than one year on the Kimber's??? How's Springfield's CS??? Kimber has been VERY nice CS! But VERY SHORT warranty. What say you, if you were buying only one? The contestants are:
1) Kimber Pro Carry II
2) Kimber Target II
3) Springfield E Series

It's hard to chose because they are all good 1911s. My suggestion would be grab the one that "feels" right in your hand and the one you feel more comfortable with, the one that is more visually appealing to you. Again, they are all awesome models so it's hard to say this one is better than that one. To me, all 1911s are beautiful works of art so I like them all......LOL.

I recently bought an SDS Imports 1911 A1 Tanker and it's an amazing piece for the price. ($399.00). It has super excellent reviews.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Nobody makes carbon fiber competition triggers? Just curious.
I'll keep the Kimber, will not mess with it, don't care to. I just want to get A Sig STX. Now that I know more about 1911's. Love the triggers of 1911's! Esp. a 70 series trigger! Yes the Sig isn't a 70 series. But I want it.

I've seen one carbon fiber trigger made & installed in a 1911. A custom job, it would be cost prohibitive

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Of your listed choices, I would go with the Smith.
Kimber is a marketing scheme. Take their Custom Shop roll marks, they have no "custom shop" it's all BS.

Also, my best advice, buy the most gun you can possibly afford. If you start with a basic, bare bones pistol, you will spend more time and money modding and upgrading it.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
why get one then start changing things, makes more sense just get it that way to start, in our store I remember well customers saying, I like this one what parts do I need to change 1st, I replied your choice of models and views. I remember well one that said if I buy that one and a box of ammo and it works ok I will pay for all if not I don't want it, we did that with Fed ball ammo worked fine after cleaning and lube, and I said what now do you wish to change? He looked confused but did pay for all of it. It was an STI single stack ($775 if I remember correctly) I would have bet there would be no issues, almost 20 years later still has it never an issue he said. I see him monthly at our matches with it still. He also now has a 9mm like it. He started out right.

tcttcf

Fanatic
Gentlemen,
I'm TRYING to decide on three 1911's, which one to buy. ALL are, all Stainless steel, all are in the same ballpark price wise. I'm slightly leaning towards the Kimber's because of the "Match grade triggers and match-grade bull barrels", but unsure if Springfield has "match-grade triggers and barrels". Do they? That isn't specified on the Springfield. The Kimber barrels look a lot thicker (bull barrels) No idea?? So, we are talking $900.00 +- for any of the three. What would you buy?? Also, it may not have match-grade triggers and barrels, but is the Springfield as accurate? Is Springfield's warranty better than one year on the Kimber's??? How's Springfield's CS??? Kimber has been VERY nice CS! But VERY SHORT warranty. What say you, if you were buying only one? The contestants are:
1) Kimber Pro Carry II
2) Kimber Target II
3) Springfield E Series

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Why would you wish to change it if nothing wrong?
I think sometimes we have been conditioned to change everything you can to make it better? I'm as guilty as anyone of changing parts that did not require changing. My personal choice, no other reason. Remember all the crap storm re: mim vs forged? I fell for that too. what a laugh. I doubt I'd shoot anything to the point of failure, but admittedly I don't shoot as often as I should. I guess if a part fails send it back if It's under warranty and let the manufacturer fix it. If it Isn't under warranty then replace it with the parts you'd like to use. Long story short, I have a very good friend who told me if it ain't broke don't fix it. He has ended up with a bunch of my guns after I spent a crap ton of money on modifying them because I needed the money. He bought them for a fair price to both of us. I've gotten a few of his in trades too, so it works out well. Long way around to say...If it ain't broke don't fix it. Blessed Christmas to everyone here, stay safe!

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I think sometimes we have been conditioned to change everything you can to make it better? I'm as guilty as anyone of changing parts that did not require changing. My personal choice, no other reason. Remember all the crap storm re: mim vs forged? I fell for that too. what a laugh. I doubt I'd shoot anything to the point of failure, but admittedly I don't shoot as often as I should. I guess if a part fails send it back if It's under warranty and let the manufacturer fix it. If it Isn't under warranty then replace it with the parts you'd like to use. Long story short, I have a very good friend who told me if it ain't broke don't fix it. He has ended up with a bunch of my guns after I spent a crap ton of money on modifying them because I needed the money. He bought them for a fair price to both of us. I've gotten a few of his in trades too, so it works out well. Long way around to say...If it ain't broke don't fix it. Blessed Christmas to everyone here, stay safe!
Good points Bob. Wishing you and yours a blessed and Merry Christmas too!

Latest posts