Need an AR upper vice block

TS12000

Active Fanatic
Anyone in the low country have one I could borrow for a night or two? I'll throw in a box of ammo or a beer or something for your troubles ;)

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
speaking of...

there is a new kind of upper holding device. i saw one that belongs to a forum member and it is really cool.

no pressure on the upper. i saw one at PSA also.

it is a round bar of steel. one end clamps into the vise and the other end goes into the star chamber of the barrel. it has the lugs just like a bolt and whatever you torque there is no pressure on the upper. they cost around $50 but i think one could be made with a drimel or grinder.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
Isn't that the new Magpul block? Saw a picture on the back of a Magpul poster of a block they goes into the chamber like that.

TS12000, I have one you can use. I'll be either home or around town tomorrow so I can toss it in the car or you're welcome to come grab it. In in Summerville off 78.

Chris

Tigerstripe said:
speaking of...

there is a new kind of upper holding device. i saw one that belongs to a forum member and it is really cool.

it is a round bar of steel. one end clamps into the vise and the other end goes into the star chamber of the barrel. it has the lugs just like a bolt and whatever you torque there is no pressure on the upper. they cost around $50 but i think one could be made with a drimel or grinder.

TS12000

Active Fanatic
kg4kpg said:
Isn't that the new Magpul block? Saw a picture on the back of a Magpul poster of a block they goes into the chamber like that.

TS12000, I have one you can use. I'll be either home or around town tomorrow so I can toss it in the car or you're welcome to come grab it. In in Summerville off 78.

Chris

Tigerstripe said:
speaking of...

That would be awesome Chris I live right there...sending a pm

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
Crunchy Frog said:
The Geissele Reaction Rod is one type of tool that supposedly keeps the pressure off of the upper receiver when performing work like installing barrels or muzzle devices.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 55168.aspx

They are out of stock at the first few places that came up in my search.

yes, that is it but Joe didnt pay $99. he said $50 something. i saw one in the Greenville PSA but i didnt look at the price.

i just checked PSA website. they have them but it says out of stock so there is no price.

last item under "tools".

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
That Geissele reaction rod is nice. They have another piece in work that holds the buffer tube at 90/180/270/360 positions so you can work on a lower with it oriented in any direction.

But just like their other products, they are proud of them.

That magpul unit should suffice for taking pressure off of the upper receiver.

By the way, I bought the new Magpul Armorer's wrench......IT IS NICE, well worth the money.

TS12000

Active Fanatic
Tbh that's just what many had recommended for the sake of not messing up an upper/barrel/or nut with the incorrect tools. This was the first time I had done major surgery on an upper so I would have been pretty upset if I messed it up because I didn't do something as simple as ask to borrow a couple pieces of plastic.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Answer me this, why not just clamp the barrel in a vise?

i hate it when i scratch up something like a barrel or pistol.

i wonder if the bore could be squished?

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Steel barrel vs aluminum receiver? I think it would be easier to crack the receiver. I think you use softer (aluminum or nylon) jaws when vising a barrel. I have tried several types of upper vise blocks; I much prefer the ones that go on top (rail) and bottom vs clamping the sides.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I ordered a Magpul BEV Block today. Maybe I can break out of the 1.5 AR category.

And, hey, once you've invested in the tool, you might as well build another upper, or two, right?

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a vise block that sandwiches the receiver from the sides and really don't like it... seems like it puts pressure in all the wrong places. The nylon blocks that fit on the rail and pin in place of the lower is better, but I still think securing the barrel may be the way to go, except that you may be putting a lot of pressure on the barrel alignment pin. Agree/disagree?

Latest posts