Need advice on commercial reduced-power 38SPL practice ammo

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
My wife has decided that she wants a gun, some training, and a CCL. The gun is on its way, the training and CCL we can get from USSA. All she needs now is a load that she can shoot frequently enough from a 38 snubbie to become proficient and that will be affordable.

I wanted to see if any of the revo masters have any suggestions for commercial ammo for her to use in classes. I am not set up to reload 38 yet. Info from lady shooters is welcome, as well, obviously.

Thanks!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Are you looking ammo for her to carry or practice? or both?

Federal started making a non +P NyClad HP (P38MA) that I have shot in my Model 36 and the recoil was really nice but not at the expense of performance

fedepicp38ma.jpg

Here is some info on the load http://www.federalpr...gun.aspx?id=828

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
However, the one that I have been carrying for a couple years in my Model 642 is the Hornady Critical Defense. They make it in both standard pressure an +P at 110gr. It has an insert in the HP that prevents clogging by heavy materials (coats, etc).

Hornady Critical Defense

WSProdLG_hornady90310.jpg

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Just practice ammo for the moment although advice on some carry ammo for her parcticular gun would certainly be welcome. She has a ported 642-2 Pro Series Smith coming.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
The Standard pressure 110gr Hornady critical defense is pretty soft. I would practice with 148gr wadcutters

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Then... Old fossils like who like 158 grain lead semi wad cutters (std pressure) from the snub guns

Out of a short barrel... It makes a good hole.. Expands a bit in many cases ... And it's controllable and light kicking.
Dongs keeps delta precision remanufactured on the shelf in Tulsa and its cheap.

Federal makes a jacketed semi wc that was a good performer too... Hard to find now days

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
The goal is to find her a load that will encourage practice rather than make it a chore. Obviously the porting will help with that but anything to help it further would be beneficial, I believe.

She fired 35 rounds from a 640 and was done. She fired a 32 H&R mag load and a S&W long from another gun and loved it. Then she fired a standard .38 load from a ported 637 and liked it better than the .32 mag. Go figure. I just wanted to find her a gun she would shoot and we did that. Now I'm trying to make sure to find a load that will keep her shooting that gun.

Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds 148 or 158gr WC load will work well for practice. I figure we'll go with something like the Hornady CD or maybe Gold Dots for defensive rounds.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I may be older but I am not old. 148WC for nothing but plinking and SD in a pinch.
I really like the158+p SWCHP, but it seems the best load thus far is the rem golden saber 125. The Hornadys above are good, the Speer SB are good as well.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Hit up Red River Ammo. I'm under the impression that they will do a custom load for you if you buy enough.

One thing to consider in a snubbie is the sight registration. My 442 doesn't shoot 125s to the same point of aim as 135 +Ps or standard 158s. I'd bet you could get a good lead or plated 158 SWC loaded mild and she'd be on the right track. 148 WC's would be good too.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Hit up Red River Ammo. I'm under the impression that they will do a custom load for you if you buy enough.

One thing to consider in a snubbie is the sight registration. My 442 doesn't shoot 125s to the same point of aim as 135 +Ps or standard 158s. I'd bet you could get a good lead or plated 158 SWC loaded mild and she'd be on the right track. 148 WC's would be good too.

That is correct usually 38s have their sights regulated for the 158gr bullet - or so it seems. Though at SD distance.....

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Put a set of crimson trace model 405 laser grips on the gun. You can turn the laser off for general sighting practice and the little rubber pad on the top of the backstrap really dampens the recoil. A snub is one of the hardest guns to master, if she doesn't like shooting it, she isn't going to practice.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I will contact Red River. They don't currently advertise .38SPL but I will call and see what they'll do for me.

The 640 she shot had the CTs on it and she hated it. It was the model with the two rubber slabs. The back of that square frame was a bucket of suck (I shot it, too). There may be a newer or just another model with the backstrap covered but shooting it with those square edges exposed was awful. She really disliked the standard length of the grips, as well. I have ordered her a set of Hogue grips that cover the backstrap and are the extended style with the pinky ledge. Between the porting and the soft rubber Hogue grips the recoil should be tame enough for her to shoot this thing frequently.

ETA: I went and looked up the 405s and it appears that they give the same coverage as the Hogues. That would def. solve the square backstrap problem.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
The 405's are compact but cover the backstrap, the little cushion at the top makes all the difference do the gun doesn't recoil up into the web between thumb and forefinger.

Latest posts