Muzzleloader season is coming.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Lyman Great Plains rifle I made last summer. .50 cap lock. I shoot a.490 patched round ball in front of 70 gr. FFG.

pre_1318872771__guns_013.jpg

Alternatively I can shoot my TC Hawken 50 cal flinter with Green Mountain barrel, 1/60 twist.

I have also used the TC barrel 1/48 twist with the Maxi-Ball and 110 gr FFG. REsults on deer are very similar to shot gun slug. Lots of bang, recoil, and blood (sometimes my own).

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
ML season has been open in S E Oklahoma since Jan 1 and does not close until dec 31 :)

Sav 110 ML w smokeless powder & 250 Barnes @ 2575 fps

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
ML season has been open in S E Oklahoma since Jan 1 and does not close until dec 31 :)

Sav 110 ML w smokeless powder & 250 Barnes @ 2575 fps

Are you advocating poaching? I don't get this reference.

Anyway, I'll be shooting a Remington 700ML with a Nikon BDC muzzleloader scope. I've got the 209 conversion but I use small rifle primers with the Variflame adapter. Much more consistent and less dirty than a 209. Also use loose powder which is more consistent than pellets. I can hit a golf ball consistently at 100 yards.

dennishoddy

I couldn't post earlier, as I was on the cell and had too much to type.

Tenxer, I totally understand your post. I have friends in SE Ok. Poaching is rampant with everything from .22 rimfire to centerfires.

To stay on topic in this thread, I'll start another.
F

dennishoddy

For me, with limited resources in 82, the only gun I owned was a .410 single shot H&R. I knew nothing about rifling, twist, ballistics, nothing.
Al Gore had not invented the internet at that time. :D

Wanted to get into deer hunting, and the cheapest way was to buy a kit gun.
It was a TC Hawken .54 cal. Followed all directions, and took it out to shoot. It wouldn't hit a 4' target at 100 yds. It sounded like a helicopter with the buffalo bullet flying towards the target.
I did not know a single person in that day that used a MZ, but read a book about it. I tried different bullets, patches, powder, etc, and could never make it shoot.
Used it for several seasons, limiting myself to 30 yds or less.

I have subscribed to outdoor life forever, and saw an article in there about some guy named Tony Knight that was building an inline gun, and it was accurate!

I called the number, and we talked for an hour about why my POS Hawken would not shoot.
(it came down to using the wrong bullets in a twist that didn't support a long bullet, but would have worked with a round ball/patch.)

He offered an inline, the MK-85. He was still building them one at a time in his shop. I bought one. The warranty was 1 1/2" groups with a scoped rifle at 100 yds or he would replace the barrel. I still have a video of him tossing one, charged, into a pond, waiting an hour, and taking it out. It fired first time.

Killed a lot of deer with that MZ. We had a home burglury several years ago, and the MZ was one that came up missing.
(get rid of the gun cases, and get a dammed safe!)

I spent a lot of time online and found a wildcatters site that was dedicated to the Savage smokeless MZ, and have never looked back.

Bought one with a laminated stock, and Stainless Barrel. A true tack driver with a dime covering most of a 3 shot group. I'll post pics of it later. Iphone is getting an upgrade.....

It is still a one shot, loaded through the muzzle, like any other MZ.

Bullbuster

Fanatic
Just glad the ML laws here in OK are laxed as many states you can't use a scope, fiber optic iron site, in line or even 209 primer much less any of the new electric ignition or smokeless ML's.

Latest posts