M1A stock question.......

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Recently picked up an M1A on a daily deal sale with PSA.

It's been a gun on my list for some time. Actually the Scout Squad model was the desired gun....but this one showed up for a tempting price.

I'm not a fan of the plastic stock and will be doing some bubba smiffin' on it when time allows......texturing & rattle can stuff.

Also picked up a replacement walnut stock & match sling from SA.

I hit the natural finished sling with some Ballistol and really like the change. Was tempted to do the same with the stock....but am holding off.

Plans for the stock was to use some fine & superfine grit sandpaper and work in some pure Tung Oil. Coats going on over the next couple weeks.....allowing plenty of drying time.

Sound about right ?

Should I glass bed the barreled action first ?

Or.........Should I bother with bedding the barreled action at all ? It's the SOCOM16 model that I will not be scope with a receiver mount. Gonna run the irons for a while. If I scope it....most likely will be a Leupold 1.5-4 scout scope on the forward mount.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Recently picked up an M1A on a daily deal sale with PSA.

It's been a gun on my list for some time. Actually the Scout Squad model was the desired gun....but this one showed up for a tempting price.

I'm not a fan of the plastic stock and will be doing some bubba smiffin' on it when time allows......texturing & rattle can stuff.

Also picked up a replacement walnut stock & match sling from SA.

I hit the natural finished sling with some Ballistol and really like the change. Was tempted to do the same with the stock....but am holding off.

Plans for the stock was to use some fine & superfine grit sandpaper and work in some pure Tung Oil. Coats going on over the next couple weeks.....allowing plenty of drying time.

Sound about right ?

Should I glass bed the barreled action first ?

Or.........Should I bother with bedding the barreled action at all ? It's the SOCOM16 model that I will not be scope with a receiver mount. Gonna run the irons for a while. If I scope it....most likely will be a Leupold 1.5-4 scout scope on the forward mount.

Beautiful kit Dub, yes bed it, & use Bisonite bedding compound.
I have always used Tru Oil liquid or spray it dries hard & beautiful.
Wait until all bedding is done before you do final finnish.

I must have missed it. How long is the barrel & twist rate? Do you plan on using NM sights front & rear big difference?
Do you have M1A bedding instructions?

Reactions: Dub

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a walnut stocked Scout Squad model , sold it a few months ago, after 10 yrs of ownership.
Was my favorite rifle, until I got an AR-10.
I found the AR much easier (& a lot less expensive) to modify than my M1A
In all honesty, don't think I shot my M1A after I got my AR-10 set up...the M1a is a great rifle,
was a bucket list item for me, but ended up being less than ideal , for my use * interest.
Great thing was,I sold if after 10 yrs of ownership, for more than I paid for it..it was in as-new condition, as I took good care of it.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Beautiful kit Dub, yes bed it, & use Bisonite bedding compound.
I have always used Tru Oil liquid or spray it dries hard & beautiful.
Wait until all bedding is done before you do final finnish.

I must have missed it. How long is the barrel & twist rate? Do you plan on using NM sights front & rear big difference?
Do you have M1A bedding instructions?

It has the 16.25" barrel with 1:11 twist.

The sights are more open than what I believe is generally used on other models. (pics from the Springfield webpage).

M1A-SOCOM16-FB4_1000x1000.jpg

M1A-SOCOM16-FB6_1000x1000.jpg

M1A-SOCOM16-FB5_1000x1000.jpg

I had a walnut stocked Scout Squad model , sold it a few months ago, after 10 yrs of ownership.
Was my favorite rifle, until I got an AR-10.
I found the AR much easier (& a lot less expensive) to modify than my M1A
In all honesty, don't think I shot my M1A after I got my AR-10 set up...the M1a is a great rifle,
was a bucket list item for me, but ended up being less than ideal , for my use * interest.
Great thing was,I sold if after 10 yrs of ownership, for more than I paid for it..it was in as-new condition, as I took good care of it.

I simply didn't muster the willpower to resist.

I'd been wanting to add one for years.....timing wasn't right.

Once I found myself shooting more often I knew I'd be ready to get back into rifle shooting.

Couldn't muster the resistance to the temptation when it showed up on my radar.

Will be for shorter range applications than what I'm hoping to accomplish with the setup on my AR10.

Looking forward to getting this little monster in some walnut clothes soon.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I think that any powder that works in a Std length M1A will work fine with the Gas system as for Velocity
Found a comparison for barrel length & velocity. See below:

He uses a bolt gun for his test however it shows the velocity loss with different bullet weights.
A low power 1.5 x 8 LER Scope mounted on the Handguard sure would make for a fun gun in 7.62 NATO

Reactions: Dub

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Wanting to use the oem forward mounting position, I quickly learned there are very limted choices for LER rifle scopes.
After reading some reviews, I settled on a Hi-Lux LER 2-7 X 32 rifle scope. It actually worked surprisingly well, for my limited-range shooting.

[h3][/h3]

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I think that any powder that works in a Std length M1A will work fine with the Gas system as for Velocity
Found a comparison for barrel length & velocity. See below:

He uses a bolt gun for his test however it shows the velocity loss with different bullet weights.
A low power 1.5 x 8 LER Scope mounted on the Handguard sure would make for a fun gun in 7.62 NATO

I was planning on using starting loads under the "service rifle" designation from the Hornady & Lyman manuals.

Wanting to use the oem forward mounting position, I quickly learned there are very limted choices for LER rifle scopes.
After reading some reviews, I settled on a Hi-Lux LER 2-7 X 32 rifle scope. It actually worked surprisingly well, for my limited-range shooting.

[h3][/h3]
I'm finding this out, too. Very limited number of offerings on the market. 4 is about all I've found.

I'm going to run it with the irons for a while and see how they do.

Latest posts