M&P9 Fail to Extract

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
I see that there is a thread on the Glock 36 doing this, but what about a M&P9 doing the same thing. This pistol has probably 1000+/- rounds through it and it has just started to do this. The fired case is extracted maybe half way and then left in place. Pretty much just like the picture in the Glock thread. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe once every 15 or so. Ammo brand has not changed. Any ideas?

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
@Mitch,,,you can't tell one case rim from any of the others. At least nothing noticeable to the eye.

@Jeremy....I just ordered one of those. I hope that takes care of the problem. This problem can screw up a match day really quick!!! Are there any tricks to getting the stock extractor out? I understand that pin can be a little sticky the first time you have to take it out.

Stan

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Are you sure it's an extraction issue? If you're using soft ammo it may be short cycling. I had to go down to a 13lb recoil spring to cycle with my reloads.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess anything is possible but I doubt it's ammo related. Same factory FMJ ammo that it has been digesting since it was new. It just started this.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Is it Winchester White Box? I have a M&P9c that fails to extract on WWB fairly frequently. This was a known problem with the M&P but I think S&W fixed it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I guess anything is possible but I doubt it's ammo related. Same factory FMJ ammo that it has been digesting since it was new. It just started this.

Yeah, I was speaking more towards soft reloads

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Weird. My m&p never gets chamber ache and I feed it what ever I pull off the shelf and my reloads. Sounds like a damaged spring or extractor. Let us know how it works out.

Oh if you get the chace snap some pictures of the failure.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, this is really weird. It started this out of the blue. This is the pistol that my son shoots and we got to talking last night and counting things up, it probably has more like 2 or 3k rounds through it instead of the 1000 that I first thought. Up until this, it has been dead reliable. And of course, it waits until last weekend when we get over to Hot Springs to shoot the MVSA Regional IDPA match to start doing this. It malfed on 6 of the 10 stages. He still managed to finish in the 8 spot in his division, which I thought was pretty good while having to put up with that.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, this is really weird. It started this out of the blue. This is the pistol that my son shoots and we got to talking last night and counting things up, it probably has more like 2 or 3k rounds through it instead of the 1000 that I first thought. Up until this, it has been dead reliable. And of course, it waits until last weekend when we get over to Hot Springs to shoot the MVSA Regional IDPA match to start doing this. It malfed on 6 of the 10 stages. He still managed to finish in the 8 spot in his division, which I thought was pretty good while having to put up with that.

Placing with a malfunctiomomg gun is impressive.

Latest posts