M&P Springs

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Hey Mike -

I have come to the realization that my limited M&P is waaayyy oversprung. We were shooting a strong hand only classifier today and the gun limpwristed on every shot, closing the slide about halfway and not coming far enough back to pick up the next round. I was experimenting with it the last time I was practicing and I can make this thing malfunction on a limpwrist at will.

I don't know what poundage the current spring is. What would you recommend for a recoil spring setup on a lightened slide .40 shooting major?

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Ok, so this thing appears to have the stock guide rod and spring in it. It's the captured rod with the flat wound spring and the last 1/3 or so painted blue. I guess I'm going to get an uncaptured rod and a variety pack of springs and see what happens.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Aight, so, took it out to the range today and tried 11#, 13#, and 15#. No joy. Instead of being oversprung like I first thought, it looks like the slide is outrunning the magazine. Typically it hangs up with the round nose down in the mag, slide about halfway closed. I guess I'm going to order 17# and 20# recoil springs and an extra power striker spring.

I don't really want to put the striker spring in if I don't have to...I'm afraid it'll mess up the awesome trigger in this thing. How much slide movement does the striker spring soak up? Can't be much, right?

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Yeah, I just put in a new set of mag springs from Taylor Freelance for my 140mm mags and that helped a little. Any idea if someone makes extra power mag springs for extensions?

Chambers

actual GM
Brownell's yo!

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/47352-s-w-m-p-high-capacity-extra-power-magazine-spring-s-w-m-p-mag-spring-brownells.html

Latest posts