Lower Illinois river trout fishing.

dennishoddy

Just got this in the weekly ODW email.
This really sucks.

Trout stocking suspended at Lower Illinois River
Trout stocking at the Lower Illinois River near Gore has been suspended until water quality improves according to officials with the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. The trout fishery is supported by water released from Lake Tenkiller. The majority of that water is released for hydropower generation. However during non-generation hours the only water available to maintain suitable flows, oxygen levels and water temperatures has come from an allocation loaned to ODWC by Sequoyah Fuels Corp. That allocation has run out.
The Lower Illinois River is one of the only two year-round trout fisheries in the state and is managed by the Wildlife Department. While the long, dry summer of 2011 has contributed to poor water quality and insufficient water quantity, the underlying issue is that there is no permanent water allocation in Lake Tenkiller dedicated to the trout fishery. ODWC is pursuing possible solutions with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and other users of water in Lake Tenkiller. Officials hope that trout stocking can resume once flows are restored and water quality improves.

dennishoddy

Absolutely. The main diet of stripers in that area is trout. Most of the striper guides in that area use live trout for bait.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
That sucks ass! too bad they got that leak fixed on the dam! no trout means no stripers means no Kirk spending money down there, that is not going to be good for the economy in the already thriving metropolis of Gore. I really don't like Mountain Fork that much and have been fly fishing the Illinois for at least 20 years I just hate to see that end. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

I'm betting it will come back. Too many businesses and people make a living off of that fishery.

The COE, can be difficult to deal with though.

Some state legislator or the Govenor is going to have to step up, and see if this can be changed.

Tulsa fly fisherman are heading up a petition drive. I hope it works.

dennishoddy

Go to wildlifedepartment.com and sign up for the weekly email from them. They give lake reports so one can check out what is biting in lakes near your area.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
We make a trip to Rogers Ar. every year to catch some big fish and always stop in Roland on the way back, there is this place calle Cheyanne Gentlemans Club and let's just say you go there and you'll not care for the clubs around here! just for the record those poor girls need cash for schoolbooks and they have this way of knowing how to get it from you :) almost makes me want to go fishing in Eastern Ok. Later,

Kirk

[email protected]

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just there last weekend. I have never seen the Illinois that color before. BUT I did have the best day of trout fishing I have ever had down there. At the first riffles below the dam I stayed in the same spot about three hours and probably caught 50-75 trout the average size was better than usual too.

dennishoddy

I was just there last weekend. I have never seen the Illinois that color before. BUT I did have the best day of trout fishing I have ever had down there. At the first riffles below the dam I stayed in the same spot about three hours and probably caught 50-75 trout the average size was better than usual too.

I know a guy in sand springs that fishes there on a regular basis. He commented on the dingy water, but also caught trout. It will peter out if something is not done, as there is almost no natural reproduction.