Loki 3g failure?

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I sent my upper back to Loki last Thursday. It is out for delivery and coming back to me today. Erik called me yesterday to tell me what was going on with it. When they got the rifle late last week they checked the head space and used go, no go gauges. and inspected everything visually. They couldn't see anything wrong with it from that so they moved on to test firing. on the 3rd round they fired the chamber ruptured and split the upper receiver. Erik said it must have been a terribly over pressured round. Now I don't know exactly why my old upper was having problems, and never will I suppose. They built a new upper for me and put in a NiB-X coated BCG, and put on a new 18" stainless nitrided barrel for my troubles, then threw in a new t-shirt. Erik was very nice and very accommodating. I hate that I had a bad upper, but these things are inevitable to some degree no matter how much quality control happens. I was taken care of in a week including the 2 days of shipping there and back. I couldn't be happier with the customer service I received, and Erik going out of his way to make it right. I would definitely do business with them again.

I'll post pics of the new upper tonight.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like you benifited from sending in your upper. I guess its a good thing it popped on them and not on you.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Take a look at your feedramps and see if they didn't inadvertently stick a rifle barrel extension in your build, causing you to have mismatched feedramps. The side effects of having mismatched feedramps become even worse (failure to feed, deformed bullet tips) if you use steel or aluminum mags (especially without anti-tilt followers) or if you shoot full auto or very fast semi-auto. If your bullet tips look like they're smashed in or cut when you strip the round that failed to feed, this is 90% likely the problem. At your high rate of failure and symptoms you describe of the bullet, I'm willing to bet 100% that this is definitely your problem.

Get a pen or pencil and run the tip from the bottom of the feedramp and push it up into the chamber. If the tip gets caught in the seam, then investigate it further. Does it look like there's a pocket or shelf where the upper receiver and barrel extension meet? If so, then you have mismatched feedramps.

It happens sometimes. One of my Loki rifles had mismatched feedramps. I ended up just using a dremel and a chainsaw sharpening bit to grind out the rifle feedramps into actual m4 feedramps so it would mate with the upper receiver portion of the feedramps properly. Ever since then, the rifle feeds flawlessly, even with the loosest metal mags without anti-tilt followers, hehe.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I ran 60rds. through it yesterday after work. It worked well this time.

2012-08-09184614.jpg

2012-08-09184633.jpg

2012-08-09184647.jpg

2012-08-09184807.jpg

Latest posts