Lever action tight

Choot-um

Well-Known Fanatic
I have recently received a Marlin 336 30-30 lever action. This is my first lever gun and I have not even handled any others to compare mine to. Is there a way to have the lever action smoother? It all seems good except when you first pull the lever down. It seems to be very tight to and is not plesent to use after a few rounds. Its pretty rough on the hand from the effort it takes to start the lever.

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a spring and plunger on your finger lever that is retained by a small pin,It's sole purpose is to hold the finger lever in place when firing the rifle. Since the rifle is used it may have some rust or crud in the hole that it sets in not allowing it to move freely. You need a very small punch to remove the pin and you want to cover it with your hand when pulling the punch out so that the plunger doesn't fly out. Once out, clean up the hole and polish the spring and plunger with some fine sand paper, you can also polished the beveled parts of the plunger. Stick it back in with some good gun oil and see what that does.

Choot-um

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks ill give that a try. I was hoping for a simple solution, hopefully that does the trick.

Latest posts