Lets hear your duck recipies

dennishoddy

I've got the breasts of three mallards in the fridge.
Now I need to hear the best way to cook them. I've had them baked with some sort of orange stuff on them, and it was so-so.
Lets hear how you like them.

Anybody brine them?

1000YRDSHOT

Well-Known Fanatic
I usually let them soak in water for two days, I change the water about 4 or 5 times, it helps to draws the blood out of the breast.

I usually just throw them in a crock-pot on low for 8 hours. I put a pot of coffee in there with some big slices of onion (do not try to eat these onions after you are done cooking), and the add an inch or two of water. You should be able to take a couple forks and pull the meat apart without much effort. Then you can throw some bar b q sauce on them, make sandwiches, or whatever.

I have used this before as well, and all of my guest really liked it.http://www.food.com/recipe/oven-braised-teal-75397

The crock-pot method is mainly used because it is simple and less work.

Porter

Active Fanatic
I've started taking mine to Siegi's and having sausage made. I've been killing way to many to keep up with the cooking!

I will give a great tip though. Before you prepare them, soak the breasts in buttermilk for 24-48 hours. You can drain them and replace the milk once or twice if you like. This really draws out the blood and iron flavor. After that, marinate them in italian dressing for another 12-24 hrs before cooking. At this point, they are good enough to baste with some olive oil and spices and throw directly on the grill!

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
I start off by dressing the birds and letting them hang in the shed for 3-5 days. This aging process really improves the palatability of the bird.

Another thing, I only shoot birds that are good table faire; mallard, gadwall, widgeon, canvasback, and red head. Anything else killed by accident or for a dog retrieve goes into gumbo. And no mergansers!!!!

K

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Last night's duck dinner:

4 gadwall breasts from morning's hunt
marinate at RT for 1 h in:
  • Soy sauce
  • olive oil
  • Worcester sauce
  • splash of liquid smoke
  • chopped garlic

grilled on high heat until medium (pink in centre) or a bir more rare. (or grill slowly on low fire)

exquisite flavour and very tender.

Note, do not over cook. Poke with fork to where juices run clear or kinda of pink and remove. If no juices run, you've cooked it to oblivion.

Latest posts