Learning to shoot long guns.

Steve Moneypenny

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a USPSA GM, IDPA Master in 3 divisions, I have always shot pistol, (recently took some time off from competition) and am a semi-proficient "tactical" or defensive shotgunner, OK at skeet/trap never shot anything with pro guns, just an old 870 or 1100.. and a couple with my 18.5" benelli.

Rifle, I have always sucked at the most, I had bad eye sight ( couldn't see much of anything past 100 yards) Now I have had lasik surgery and can see well, better. I'm at 20/20-20/15 depending on the day.

So I'm picking up a rifle in a few days, and learning my rifle skills, stretching to make positions smoother to get into.

I have been practicing pistol, and doing a few transitions, etc.

I'm still modifying my guns to be a little smoother, and slicker, I've learned a ton here the past couple of weeks, and getting started with my 3gun dry fire.

Right now I'll be looking at about a half hour a day minimum, Trying to get two of those, and a minimum of one. and adding in some workout to get into shape.

Any specific performance drills or marks I should be aiming for?

Basic weapons familiarization drills; snaps from low ready, etc. It might sound weird, but I think just running some of the magpul dynamics rifle drills in the back of the dvd would help.
Oh, and You tube some of kyle lambs youtube drill videos. He does some complicated ones, but just hit the more basic ones.

You know how to shoot a gun, just just need to learn how to run one (a different one)

Also, dont get so caught up in learning a new gun, so much so that you forget the things that allow you to shoot a pistol well. Much (most) of it transfers over from pistol easier than you might initially think.
Fundamentals of marksmanship are UNIVERSAL. You are very much well set up for success with long guns.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
You have already figured out the hard one.

I can tell you I've learned to keep my head up with the rifle instead of cramming my face down on the charging handle, and learned to move my head with the shotgun and lead with my eyes.

The rest is mostly gun handling stuff, loading shotgun, charging the rifle etc.

Steve Moneypenny

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I've been working my static shooting with a pistol this week, hopefully next tuesday I will have my AR. Monday I will start back with my weak hand shotgun reloading. and transition from pistol to shotgun.

Steve Moneypenny

Well-Known Fanatic
So thismorning i picked up my rifle for the first time in a long time ( just picked it up tuesday.. worked on some nice slow port arms shouldering. keeping my head level and getting my gun up to a cheek wield. ... more fun to come this weekend :)

Latest posts