Kydex vs Leather

uflraptor

Fanatic
You can get as many answers as you can find gun owners.

My IWB holster is an Alien Gear. It provides great all day comfort even while performing physical tasks, and reholstering is always smooth. The backing plate against the body provides a nice comfortable feel. Also Alien gear is a great company to work with. They stand by their product and offer lifetime swap on their shell.

For OWB I prefer leather for daily carry. I feel it offers a very close to the body fit. I tried a Galco originally but prefer the cant and sweat guard of the Winthrop.

Legion489

Fanatic
Like all things, it depends. I like leather, but got a bunch of kydex holsters I got cheap and like fine. GOOD (meaning expensive) leather will out last most kydex holsters. Kydex does much better in wet areas as it doesn't soak up water, go soft, mildew or rot. It does however crack and break and is hard, especially if you fall on it, but no harder than the leather holster if it has a gun in it when you land on it.

Sandtrap

Fanatic
Depends on the weather and clothing choice but, I'm a leather guy on my Dan Wesson ECO, this Don Hume with the reinforced opening works well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

mley1

Fanatic
I was surprised at the quality of a 1791 holster I recently got for my 1911. The price was very reasonable as well. I much prefer leather for comfort. I have kydex, and use it iwb. The iwb kydex I have is made by Precision Holsters and has a leather backing. Straight kydex is not for me.

Attachments

• 69AEA026-5326-4CB6-BF18-0EEA8CF9310A.jpeg
    69AEA026-5326-4CB6-BF18-0EEA8CF9310A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 881A57B4-CB71-45FE-BF12-BA03180D724B.jpeg
    881A57B4-CB71-45FE-BF12-BA03180D724B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
kydex all matches
daily carry leather
horseback looking at cattle, leather cross draw
outside work here on fences, nylon with flap cover for me. I found it, for rough work the best I have used also has a mag pouch, it really saves the firearm from damage.

Spad

Active Fanatic
Hey Sandtrap, notice those nice smooth grips, makes for good shootin the1911. cool lookin pistol. Spad

Skip

Fanatic
I have used Galco holsters for my Colt MK IV series 80 and Glock 26 & 19 for at least 20 years. Leather rocks one man's opinion. At 75 I have ended up with a large box full of plastic holsters I just keep for getting to throw them out. Also a friend of mine stopped using plastic holsters whey he found mare marks on his Glocks.

Spad

Active Fanatic
I got a box of holsters too. Must be a holster virus out there too. In fact just got a nice OWB leather holster for my 1911's last week. Spad

Sandtrap

Fanatic
Hey Sandtrap, notice those nice smooth grips, makes for good shootin the1911. cool lookin pistol. Spad
Thanks Spad
It does shoot nice, I didn't much care for the black and white textured grips that came on it.
Happy Easter everyone

Latest posts