Katadyn Pocket Microfilter Water Filter

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
This is the water filter I want for my BOB (bug out bag). Has anyone seen or used one of these? The price for one is $225 but it will last longer than you will, if the SHTF.​

KAT-POCKET.jpg
The longest lasting, most durable filter on the market provides up to 13,000 gallons of water. Used by militaries, relief organizations and professionals who use their filter regularly and must have the best. Katadyn is the only company to use 0.2 micron silver impregnated ceramic to prohibit bacterial growth and extend cartridge life. Rugged stainless and aluminum design carries a lifetime warranty, making the Pocket the last filter you'll ever need. Eliminates bacteria, Giardia and Crypto. New easier to use handle, anti-slip base, and bottle clip makes pumping easier.​
The most rugged, highest capacity microfilter available​
[font="arial][size="3"]- Highest quality construction [/size][/font]​
- Exclusive silver impregnated ceramic element lasts up to 13,000 gallons​
- Best Choice for long term use, expeditions, etc.​
[font="arial][size="3"]Microfiltration Method: Field-cleanable 0.2 micron ceramic depth filter [/size][/font]​
[font="arial][size="3"]Output: Up to 1 quart (1 liter)/minute [/size][/font]​
[font="arial][size="3"]Cartridge Capacity: Up to 13,000 gallons [/size][/font]​
Weight: 20 oz​
Height: 10"​

SMS

Well-Known Fanatic
Haven't used that model but Katadyn makes good kit. I use a Katadyn Hiker model...love it. Same output, shorter filter life, but less expensive, lighter, and smaller (keeping in mind mine is for backpacking use so space and ounces count).

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
I was actually looking at that specific water-filter not too long ago. I've got a MSR MiniWorks EX and its been very good and its heavier, but its self-maintainable - that's the trade-off with ceramic filters).

I've pulled water from some pretty nasty places and if there's no livestock around (and I'm not in a place where there are viruses to worry about) I don't use iodine or chlorine tablets.

Now don't get me wrong, if you've got this in your bag for SHTF (I hate that acronym) situations, I'd get some iodine and/or chlorine tablets as well - and you'll need to watch those as they expire.

When I went to Haiti, I took a bunch of water purification stuff in addition to my filter.

okie-carbine

Well-Known Fanatic
thats the one i went with for my bob. never used it though. its too purty and clean and nice to mess up ;)

okcowboy

Fanatic
I've got one in my bag. I haven't used it yet but you're welcome to take a look at it if you want to see it in person before plunking down that kind of money.

okcowboy

Fanatic
Thought I'd add another comment. The Katadyn Pocket is a water FILTER not a water PURIFIER. This basically means that the filter pores are not small enough to filter out viruses. Probably not that big of a deal in North America but you could combine it with Katadyn's MyBottle Purifier if you were concerned.

If size and rugged durability are taken out of consideration. The SteriPen Sidewinder is a relatively inexpensive hand operated UV water purifier.

For home use, you'd probably want something that can filter much larger quantities on its own like a Big Berkey.

(KillShot: Remind me to show you the Katadyn Pocket when you use the torque wrench.)

SMS

Well-Known Fanatic
For home use, you'd probably want something that can filter much larger quantities on its own like a Big Berkey.

Off topic, but the Berkey rocks. We use one at home for everyday drinking water....gets all the crap out of municipal water. It's already paid for itself with bottled water savings.

okie-carbine

Well-Known Fanatic
well my pocket filter is going to get a workout in a couple weeks when i take the tactical urban sustainment course. i will be relying on it for 4 days as the only means of acquiring water and filtration. hopefully the water in little rock is virus-free :D

harpstr

Fanatic
To make it simple I got hold of a couple "straws" from the "waterislife.com" folks in Edmond. I made a donation (which is a cool thing to do) and they let me buy straws for the family. They are good for about a year of daily use. Oh yea, about $10 bucks each!

Latest posts