Job frustration

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
I sure hope once I complete my degree in a couple years, or even the hazmat courses I have coming up I can sure increase my marketability. I really hate and want to get out of purchasing. :|
I know I should just be glad to have a decent paying and fairly secure job, but sometimes you just can't help but want change.
Whining session complete, carry on. :roll:

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I've applied for more than 1200 jobs since I graduated last May. Overqualified for everything but the stuff I need five years experience for.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
I check usajobs a lot but never nothing I'm qualified for....except purchasing. My degree, when complete, will be in Computer Science and IT and I have no clue when I can actually start looking for that kind of work. With my CBRN experience and hazmat certifications, maybe I can go that route. I wouldn't mind going into Emergency Management. I can do environmental sampling and testing but those jobs are few and far between. Another problem is that I don't plan to retire from the Reserves anytime soon and still could be deployed, some companies don't want that risk.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I was hoping to be able to use my security clearance to get some sort of job. I haven't gotten to the point of looking yet because I'm still on active duty, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get out.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have the website handy (on my phone) but there is a security clearance jobs only site. Some googling should turn it up. I thought I could get something with SPAWAR or the like but I'm being beaten out by folks with 10 years of experience willing to work for $35k.

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville
11B3XCIB said:
I was hoping to be able to use my security clearance to get some sort of job. I haven't gotten to the point of looking yet because I'm still on active duty, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get out.

when is your EAOS? I would NOT get out unless you have a spot open & promised.

this sequestration deal could crush the defense industry, and it could get REAL TIGHT and be a LONG time before people start hiring.

FWIW, if you are a youngster, talk to some old codgers before you bail out & lose your retirement.
retirement income is DIFFICULT to find/keep/build up/retain.

my wife got de-funded and we are using her retirement fund to clean up some loose ends.

money is TIGHT everywhere, i have been trying to sell my diesel truck and motorcycle, and have had no luck.
I never seen it like this, used to be, you could sell something pretty quick & easy.
money is TIGHT everywhere

Glockrunner

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
That's interesting to see.
But I don't get it.
A job because you have a security clearance?

A new military I guess.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
It costs quite of bit of money for a private company to get one of its employees a security clearance. I remember $20,000 being bandied about as a ballpark figure. So an incoming employee who has a DOD secret or higher, where you only have to do some paperwork to change it to a private (usually gov't contractor) clearance, is a heck of a hiring bonus for the company.

Having said that, http://www.clearancejobs.com/ does have some decent paying jobs if you have about 10 years experience as a software developer (at least in the Lowcountry).

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Glockrunner said:
11B3XCIB said:
That's interesting to see.
But I don't get it.
A job because you have a security clearance?

A new military I guess.

Like RotaryMike said, it saves the gaining company a ton of money, it goes a long way in showing you have a solid background and have been entrusted with classified materials in the past.

Not a new military; a new private sector making use of the valuable and pre-paid for skills of separating service members.

Got a job offer for $450 per day doing private security overseas. My MOS and my security clearance helped with that one. The wife is not thrilled about the idea, so I'm still looking stateside.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
04ctd said:
11B3XCIB said:
when is your EAOS? I would NOT get out unless you have a spot open & promised.
this sequestration deal could crush the defense industry, and it could get REAL TIGHT and be a LONG time before people start hiring.
FWIW, if you are a youngster, talk to some old codgers before you bail out & lose your retirement.
retirement income is DIFFICULT to find/keep/build up/retain.
my wife got de-funded and we are using her retirement fund to clean up some loose ends.
money is TIGHT everywhere, i have been trying to sell my diesel truck and motorcycle, and have had no luck.
I never seen it like this, used to be, you could sell something pretty quick & easy.
money is TIGHT everywhere

My ETS date is 31 DEC 12. I am not getting out by choice; I am being medically retired after a decade of abuse to my body as an infantryman. Injured in Iraq in 2006, I've had a few surgeries, including a plastics reconstruction on part of my face and the most recent being a spinal fusion on my back resulting in 4 screw and 2 rods. Constant pain still and no more surgical options. I'm having trouble getting Tricare to approve a spinal stim which the surgeon says is my only option besides a handful of pills everyday that get me to the point where I can really move around without my back keeping me on the couch.

I'm not bailing out; I'm being shown the door. I wanted to stay in and do my 20+. Sore subject.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Look at it this way - you've given the service more than enough to get the retirement, just in a shorter span of time. The military places such a big emphasis on strength and stoicism, which is good, but it means that when folks are truly injured they feel bad for seeking treatment (or in your case, get retired). I've worked met and occasionally worked with a lot of med-retired vets and none of them have 'gotten out early' because they wanted to.

On another note, it is a great time to use your GI Bill, especially if you qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. If you're interested, there is a state VA office in each county of SC that can help, or you can PM me.

Latest posts