JEM build

Snakebill

Fanatic
custom frame from JEM guns out of Texas. Took about 6 weeks total to get here. The slide was very large apparently. When I spoke to Elliot at JEM and he asked for the slide dimensions, he thought I was measuring wrong at first. He asked me to send him the slide and it was big, even for a colt. He had to machine the frame larger than normal to fit tightly. It's a government size, rail with one notch, square trigger guard and diamond front strap. Also a matching diamond mainspring housing and an egw made JEM high grip beavertail.
The slide is a series 80 gold cup wich I specifically looked for because of the factory polish, adjustable sights and flat top serrated top. I removed the firing pin block because the frame is series 70 style.
Barrel is a colt nm from a rail gun that fits super tight with a kart bushing left over from previous tinkering. I have a kart xact fit barrel I bought for this build and I might still use it, not sure.
This pistol is for my father and the custom serial number is for his years in country during Vietnam. Once this is done he can decide if he wants any machine work on the slide like ball or high power cuts. I want to talk him into a French border, lol. After that it's either a high polish blue on the slide and either hard chrome or bead blasted frame. Possibly also hard chrome the whole thing. Up to him.
All the internals are from EGW who make excellent parts.
so far it's coming together nicely. Still needs a lot of work. Grips will either come from Altamont or custom grips r us.
Ive messed around with my colts in the past, but this is a first build for me. Any advice is always appreciated. FYI-I already know to go slowly, lol.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
great idea, nice thought. telld ad thanks for his service when you give it to him.follow up pics mandatory--we want to see his face when he gets it

Snakebill

Fanatic
So it's making progress. Most of the fitting is done. Colt nm barrel is in it now, but may still use the kart barrel. I took the rear sights out while trying to fit the ejector. It was very tight. Turned out the old colt machines didn't cut so square and I had to file the inside of the slide so the ejector could travel through. It was wavy. Still have blending and bead blasting and rebluing the slide. 4935493649374938

ccssid

New Fanatic
Snake........just finished build. Jem frame egw internals, Harrison externals, Xact fit barrel, remsport slide. Went through trials and tribulations. Hit me up if any ???

After all said and done.....shoots like a dream .

Sid

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Snakebill

Fanatic
Thank you ccssid. Glad to hear yours worked out well. I took mine out this past Sunday and had only one issue with the ejector interfering with a Wilson magazine. Meg-gar and colt mags worked flawlessly. I kept the colt nm barrel, at least for now. Shot accurate enough. Tried my best to zero the sights at 25 yards with 200gr security reloads. 5022
Nothing to brag about but it's accurate. Another issue was the gold cup adjustable sight. The roll pin was coming out. I'll fix that after the slide is refinished.

Latest posts