ILBE usage (versus CFP-90) (backpacks)

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I was issued a CFP-90 and they never asked for it back; I've used it as a great rough camping backpack ever since. For my wife I had a large Alice on a frame; I carried the tent and heavier supplies like water, she carried food and clothing. Now that we have a kiddo, she'll have to carry more weight out of necessity (since we're supporting 3 instead of 2). So I looked around the web and decided to get a surplus ILBE main ruck.

So I got the darn thing and although I did figure out how to put the belt back on, the rest of it has more buckles than a pilgrim's shoe store. Anyone on here from the Corps during the ILBE era (ie, recently) that can give some pointers on how to pack this thing?

In addition, I'm wondering if I should switch my wife to the CFP-90 since I think it will work better for her hips. Thoughts on ILBE on a girl with hips?

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
In addition, I'm wondering if I should switch my wife to the CFP-90 since I think it will work better for her hips. Thoughts on ILBE on a girl with hips?

Personally I'd suggesting having her go to REI and get fit for a modern internal frame backpack made for women. They make nice ones in earth tones. DreamerOfDreams has rucked through Alaska with a hefty load for her size with a good, quality modern pack.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a thought. We usually go by the one in Durham, NC every Christmas to pick up a gift cert for the father-in-law (Scoutmaster - REI $ are always useful). Shame there isn't one in Charleston.

Hopkinsa2

Fanatic
PM me with general specs on what you are packing.

ILBE is really a duffel with side zippers but don't pack heaviest at bottom or it will kill your shoulders.

Hated it so much with body armor but "slick" it was great

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
That's why I got it - I don't wear body armor, as a general rule. I do hike a good bit for a fat guy, though.

Let me get this thing cleaned and make sure there's no scorpion-like crawlies leftover from immersion in the sandbox. Then I'll have more specific questions.

Latest posts