if i build an ar-15 from palmetto armory

race03

New Fanatic
does the built rifle have to be registered with anyone or are there numbers stamped on the barrel already what do i have to do to make it legal after i finish the build, thanks to anyone who can help me

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Only the lower receiver is stamped/FFL. The rest is OTC. I don't know, there may be rules if you are building to sell. There are additional tax stamps and registration issues if you are building short barrel, supressor, etc.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
As said before, the Lower is the "gun". It has the serial number on it. If you were to sell the gun, the serial number on the lower is the number that you put on any paperwork.

As long as it is a legal length and not a machine gum...there is no other registeration involved. You registered th"gun" when you bought the lower...

Hope this helps.

Steve

heymatthew

Well-Known Fanatic
Ahh... The beauty of the modular system. What the above posters have stated is correct. The stripped lower receiver is serial numbered and has to be registered. If you buy one online, it'll be shipped to an FFL and you have to pay the fee. After that, it's up to you. You can build an AR Pistol or Rifle. Want a 16" upper? Get one. 20"? Get one of those, too. Want one in .22LR? Yup. As long as you get a mil-spec lower and mil-spec components for the upper, it should all snap together.

If you're buying it for personal use, that's all you need to know. If you're buying it to build and sell, there might be some funky rules. Just make sure you keep your barrel length appropriate (ie, 16" or greater) unless you have a permit for a short-barreled rifle.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
heymatthew said:
Ahh... The beauty of the modular system. What the above posters have stated is correct. The stripped lower receiver is serial numbered and has to be registered. If you buy one online, it'll be shipped to an FFL and you have to pay the fee. After that, it's up to you. You can build an AR Pistol or Rifle. Want a 16" upper? Get one. 20"? Get one of those, too. Want one in .22LR? Yup. As long as you get a mil-spec lower and mil-spec components for the upper, it should all snap together.

If you're buying it for personal use, that's all you need to know. If you're buying it to build and sell, there might be some funky rules. Just make sure you keep your barrel length appropriate (ie, 16" or greater) unless you have a permit for a short-barreled rifle.

has to be registered?

NGIB

Active Fanatic
You will complete the 4473 when you buy the lower and unless you're building something special/regulated - that's it. I've built 3 with PSA stuff myself...

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
But I think tigerstripe's comment was regarding the loose use if the phrase "has to be registered." Form 4473 is in theory not a gun registration as there supposedly is no registry (Federal nor in SC), but a "transaction record" kept on file by the FFL.

heymatthew

Well-Known Fanatic
Ah... Sorry. Not "registered", I guess. But you do have to fill out the form and go through the background check just as if you were buying any other firearm. Registered is a weird word, isn't it? Kind of makes you get all nervous. :D

Latest posts