ID required for component purchases

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
This past weekend I went into a large(huge)but unnamed gun store and range and purchased some 40 caliber bullets(projectiles)and small pistol primers. I got the total, put cash on the counter and was asked for ID. I asked why as it was not law that I had to show ID(I am 69 years old). Salesperson advised it was "store policy" for primers and powder. I refused and purchased the bullets only as I really needed them and thinking I probably had enough primers to do the job.
Will not be buying anything there in the future.
This store is a huge 2nd ammendment supporter and a long time friend of gunowners.
Anyway, I was offended and I think most folks would be. Do you really want your personal information in a database related to ammo or component purchases? By the way, it was clear that my information was going to be entered into the store computer.
Jim

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Why not give the store name?

Are you sure they weren't just going to input your birthdate?

I can see not wanting to sell minors potentially explosive stuff like powder and primers.

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
H&H usually asks for an ID when purchasing components. I chalk it up to them wanting to track what you are buying.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
Guys
Yup, it was H&H.
Am I really too paranoid?
I have a feeling that Uncle Sugar does not like folks "rolling their own". I also feel like no database is secure, especially if Uncle wants to crack it.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
All stores like to track what you bought in combination with other items. It helps them figure out ways to make sure all the good stuff is in the right place.

Chris_Andersen

Certified
Guys
Yup, it was H&H.
Am I really too paranoid?
I have a feeling that Uncle Sugar does not like folks "rolling their own". I also feel like no database is secure, especially if Uncle wants to crack it.

If you have concerns about someone cracking a database to find out that you are reloading, probably best to not discuss it on a public internet forum.

okshooter26

Well-Known Fanatic
the keep a list of every purchase you make its a store policy the best way to do it just tell them your name. or give them someone elses name. I've never understood why they had a list of purchases and sales dates. but H and H does do it.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
OK, consensus is I am too paranoid.
And there ain't no black helicopters bu there are hundreds of UN armored personnel carriers parked at an abandoned military base in Georgia.
Jim

Latest posts