I have this old shotgun....

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a shotgun that was given to me by my dad, it was my Grandpa's. It is a Stevens 820b, so it's not really worth anything except for it's sentimental value. it has a poly-choke type thing on the end of it, but someone screwed it down tight, and left it for years most likely. Now anything looser than modified and the thing is likely to fall off. The gun looks to be in fine shape mechanically, the finish is a bit worse for wear. I am thinking about cutting the barrel down somewhere between 18.5 and 22, (where the choke starts) and make the gun into something handy to just have around. I may later try to find a longer barrel so I can use it for the occasional hunting trip or whatever.

So, here's my question, the is no rib on the shotgun, so could I cut it with a simple pipe cutter? one of those that clamps on and you spin it around while tightening it. If not, what do you suggest?

Should I just cut it to 18.5, or would you gain much by cutting it at 20, or 22?

The front bead is on the poly-choke, any idea what sight I could put on the barrel to replace it?

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
You can cut it with a pipe cutter. You just want to be careful not to round it off too much on the inside. "I hope I am saying that right". You might want to take a file to the inside to the inside when you are done.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
What Rick said.
As far as sights you could solder on a gold bead at the end of the barrel or get one that wraps around the barrel with a tightening screw.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Just have someone drill and tap the barrel for a bead sight and then chose one from over 120 types of front beads. This is the way front beads have been put on for centuries.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I messed with the pipe cutter on some scraps today, I think it would be a bad way to go. Have a sawzall and a hacksaw....

I'm thinking about calling Don Franson and seeing if he could do it all for his hourly rate. Chopping the barrel and dropping the bead on it shouldn't take too long, I wouldn't think.

dennishoddy

The pipe cutter leaves a ridge inside the barrel that has to be reamed or filed out. Hacksaws don't so much, but it's hard to get a straight cut.
I've seen a ton of discussion on every aspect of cutting off a barrel.
I took my Rem barrel to a gunsmith and had it done on a lathe, with a proper crown on it.
It works for me, as I still get a good pattern on paper. Btw, I was after a cylinder bore for grouse hunting. Spare barrel that I wanted really short, so got done at 19", and was not concerned with chokes.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had great luck with scoring the outside of the barrel with the good old pipe cutter and then following on with a hacksaw. The scoring gives the hacksaw a guide and the cut ends up real straight and square. Then just dress it all off with a file and use a piece of320 wet dry on a finger to remove the burr inside the barrel. Then throw it in a drill press eyeball the center, drill and tap and run in the new bead and once again flush off the bottom of the bead with 320 wet dry where it comes into the bore.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
So for an all purpose gun, that might get occasionally used for rabbits, small game birds, or busting clays, and just filling the house gun roll if I am gone with the AR, a 20 inch barrel should work? Also plan to shorten the buttstock a bit, it's a bit too long for me, and definitely too long for my wife.

dennishoddy

20" is pretty short. I'd go 24" or better just for the sighting plane. It's all about the intended purpose.
The barrel I had shortened for grouse is because most shots in the swamplands in Michigan are at 20 yds or less, and swinging the gun is an option at times.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I think 22 inches is about as long as I can go after removing the choke. So maybe that's what I should do. Just uncertain how much difference a few inches makes on a shotgun. Probably the area that I know the least about when it comes to guns.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, once I got started I couldn't find a place to stop.... Knew I should have taken before pics.....

I cut the barrel, sanded it and the rest of the metal on the gun down and re-blued it. It used to have a nasty brown blue that was mostly gone anyway as well as a decent amount of rust.. Then I decided the wood needed some attention as well. So I sanded it to get rid of some of the light scratches and the nasty old finish, as well as some water damage. I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out. Now all I have to do is get a front bead put on.

My only before pic.
921d0d08.jpg

and the after pic
145acc94.jpg

I didn't sand all the dents and scratches out, those were put in it by my Grandpa and my Dad and uncles. I love guns with history, and this one has plenty for me. Can't wait to get the springs I need to get it up and running.

Latest posts