I bought a new 1911 ! ..... (sorta)

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Well Rock Island Armory calls it a M1911 380.. aka "Baby Rock"

I was intrigued when Browning came out with their "downsized" 3/4- sized 1911, chambered in .380
I like 380's, ..they're fun & economical to shoot (true, if you hand load) Already have a few.. but none are a mini-1911.
Stopped in a LGS to check out the Browning, after it was released. Loved the size, felt good in my hand, But has what Browning calls a "composite" frame,
which everyone else will call polymer. I prefer real steel in my hands, thank you. Looked @ price tag..$600.00 for a polymer framed .380 ? ! No Thanks, ..I'll pass.

Time passes, I hear about Rock Island Armory coming out with an all-steel mini-1911, chambered in .380.. They call it the "Baby Rock" &I'm interested.
Never saw one at a LGS, when I looked online, found them for under $400.00 ...for a real-steel mini 1911, in 380. Only one problem :
All are SOLD OUT.. put my name on the "notify me when available " list on a half dozen online retailers that I've used in the past , as they have none in stock.

GrabAGun had them listed ( when I put my name on their list) for $339.99 a good price, IMO. They're the 1st to notify me they're back in stock.
Notice I'm sent has the same price listed, but when I put one in my cart, the price increases to $375.. oh well, they've got one so I order it.
Later that day, get another notice from them, still with lower ad price. Get yet another ad the next day from them , still has lower ad price.. outof curiosity,
I put one in the cart & the, price in the cart stays at lower price ?... ! I contact Customer Service about a price adjustment, they reply promptly, but adjustment/ refund isn't going to happen. I got a" "price changes according to availability" explication, & " price dependent on their current distributor cost"... well, o.k... now I know.

Just a precaution /warning.. if you purchase from GrabA Gun , be aware of their pricing policy.

The pistol really is very close to a miniaturized 1911, examining internal parts. One noted difference is no swivel/link under the barrel, only a lug.
Also has an external extractor..so does other 1911's..( no biggie to me)
Only 1 mag included in box, came with 2 m/t "test" brass cases in an envelope, a plastic chamber flag, and a nice "bag" to store/carry the pistol in.
Here's a pic of my new pistol : range report to follow.
mew baby rock.JPG

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Well Rock Island Armory calls it a M1911 380.. aka "Baby Rock"

I was intrigued when Browning came out with their "downsized" 3/4- sized 1911, chambered in .380
I like 380's, ..they're fun & economical to shoot (true, if you hand load) Already have a few.. but none are a mini-1911.
Stopped in a LGS to check out the Browning, after it was released. Loved the size, felt good in my hand, But has what Browning calls a "composite" frame,
which everyone else will call polymer. I prefer real steel in my hands, thank you. Looked @ price tag..$600.00 for a polymer framed .380 ? ! No Thanks, ..I'll pass.

Time passes, I hear about Rock Island Armory coming out with an all-steel mini-1911, chambered in .380.. They call it the "Baby Rock" &I'm interested.
Never saw one at a LGS, when I looked online, found them for under $400.00 ...for a real-steel mini 1911, in 380. Only one problem :
All are SOLD OUT.. put my name on the "notify me when available " list on a half dozen online retailers that I've used in the past , as they have none in stock.

GrabAGun had them listed ( when I put my name on their list) for $339.99 a good price, IMO. They're the 1st to notify me they're back in stock.
Notice I'm sent has the same price listed, but when I put one in my cart, the price increases to $375.. oh well, they've got one so I order it.
Later that day, get another notice from them, still with lower ad price. Get yet another ad the next day from them , still has lower ad price.. outof curiosity,
I put one in the cart & the, price in the cart stays at lower price ?... ! I contact Customer Service about a price adjustment, they reply promptly, but adjustment/ refund isn't going to happen. I got a" "price changes according to availability" explication, & " price dependent on their current distributor cost"... well, o.k... now I know.

Just a precaution /warning.. if you purchase from GrabA Gun , be aware of their pricing policy.

The pistol really is very close to a miniaturized 1911, examining internal parts. One noted difference is no swivel/link under the barrel, only a lug.
Also has an external extractor..so does other 1911's..( no biggie to me)
Only 1 mag included in box, came with 2 m/t "test" brass cases in an envelope, a plastic chamber flag, and a nice "bag" to store/carry the pistol in.
Here's a pic of my new pistol : range report to follow.
View attachment 32218
Cute little feller. Looking forward to the range report.