I am blessed!!

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
So my oldest daughter came up from Savannah this weekend after hearing of the 5 deer we have killed this year. I have been trying to get her a deer for 6 years with no luck. We hunted hard this weekend. Starting friday until last night. Up every morning at 4 am. I have never used game calls until yesterday and boy oh boy let me tell you I am a believer for life now. I wont go into the woods without them again. Sat evening we had a 4 point come out beside us but before we could get the gun up he was gone. I swore then that there had to be something we could have done so I started researching. I got on several hunting forums and posted my problem and within minutes I has a solution. I need calls. At 1215AM my daughter and I went to walmart and bought every call they had. $125. We set out sunday morning and called and nothing happened. Thinking I had wasted money I was frustrated. We came home and I studied on youtube. Knowing I was doing it right we set up again at 4:30. Every 30 min I was using a grunt call, rattle bag, wheeze call , and bleet calls. At 6:15 Lily spotted her deer sitting at the edge of the woods looking right at us at 100 yards. He turned and went back into the woods....I hit all the calls and he came back. He was about to come out and investigate when a dove landed on the corn pile and spooked him so he bolted back into the woods. Thinking I had missed our chance I hit the calls hard. Using everything I had. About 30 seconds later he popped out of the woods in a full fledge run at 250 yards coming right down the power line toward us. Lily was ready. She was on the scope. I kept grunting at him and he picked up speed. HE got about 150 yards from us and stopped to look around. When he turned broadside like he was going to turn I told her to shoot and she did. He dropped like a sack of potatoes. I was so excited it brought tears. That was the best hunt I have ever been on. If I could have had it on video it could have aired on the hunting channel. I just thought I would share. The youth marlin .308 has 6 shots and six kills this year. If you arent using game calls you need to start.

Lily with her 6 point 133 lbs
IMAG0136.jpg

Picture of where we have taken all the deer. The corn pile is infront of the two alone pines to the left of the power poles. The deer yesterday came running from the power line to the right of the poles. You can see in the pic with lily where the deer was in relation of the poles behind my truck in the first picture from the second picture. We stopped right by the deer to pick him up.
IMAG0128.jpg

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Congrads man...I know you are a happy pappa now...

She did a great job. I know you had her worn out getting her up that early and then going again in the evening...with no cel phone...Oh No...

She did a great job, and you did also, with the calls...

Steve

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys and Gals. I am a really proud pops!!

Steve- She brought her cell phone but she was more worried about sleeping in the stand than typing by yesterday afternoon. She woke up just in time to spot that bad boy.

Enjay I have enough processing fees. Any more this year are giveaways. I gave this one to my ex wife.

Let me know if anybody want to process a deer. Its really cheap and I'm sure I will kill another one soon.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i dont want to be the bad guy here but hunting over corn is called baiting and is illegal

((((((unless the laws are different in the low country.))))))

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
i dont want to be the bad guy here but hunting over corn is called baiting and is illegal unless the laws are different in the low country.

Now that I am fully awake and not freezing my arse off in a deer stand I want to ask you to do me a favor. Before you go off letting me know what I am doing is possibly illegal please take 5 min and download the DNR Rule book and read it first before trying to educate me. The laws are very much different all over the state. I am very much aware that it is called "baiting" and that it is very much LEGAL in my game zone on private land. The only place in the state where you can't bait is WMA's and Game Zone 1 & 2 As per SC Law 50-11-310

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Regulations in the Upstate were enacted by the DNR. Regulations in the Lower part of the state were enacted before the DNR, by the State Government.

A lot of the "Lowcountry" Regulations have existed long before the deer population in the upstate had rebounded enough to allow hunting. Hunting with dogs, baiting, even the days of the week and the type of weapons allowed in hunting at various times have been contradictory once you cross the magic Upper State/Lower State Boundary. I had friends from Rock Hill that thought the greatest post hunt fun was going out to "shine" deer, no guns-not nighthunting, just basically checking out the herd after dark with a spotlight. For them it was forbidden, only 150 miles away.

They would come down, sit in a treestand and see 25-30 deer in one evening, while hoping to return home and maybe see 25 deer all season.

One reason is geography, another tradition, another is probably based on the past political clout of the large landowners in the lowcountry. Old plantations, etc.. A lot of the Old timey legislative powerhouses lived in the southern part of the state and were AVID hunters.. Rembert Dennis, Governor McNair, etc, etc.

I live in the Francis Marion National Forest, I grew up on a 500 acre farm that shares boundaries with the National Forest. When the Francis Marion National Forest was established, it had various sub-sections, Wambaw, Waterhorn, Santee, Hell Hole.

The Waterhorn GMA was entirely fenced in and served as the "Sanctuary" for most of the deer that were transplanted to most of the southeast to re-establish the Whitetail population - within and outside the state of SC. Remnants of that old fence still existed in my youth. When the locals Hunted with dogs in that area, even 3, 5, 7 miles away from Waterhorn, the deer would bee-line to that sanctuary and jump the fence to escape the hunt. That section of forest was also responsible for a major source of transplanted Eastern Turkeys for other states too.. (Its also near to Boggy Head Range)

There are multiple Game Zones in SC, they have different opening dates, different bag limits, different rules and regulations...

Heck, I have black bear on my game camera, and our corn fields have been raided before.. but unless I have claw marks on me to prove I'm attacked, I can't shoot one.. Its a $5,000-10,000 fine here.. In the upstate there is a Season for Black Bear.. If you hit a black bear with your car here, you HAVE to leave it, if you transport it, its another $5000 fine... Thanks to CITES..

If I want to hog hunt, at night, with a silenced A/R 15 and nightvision.... in some cases, thats perfectly LEGAL too.. Its a big world, much larger than our own familiar back yards, the rules change, everywhere you go...

The challenge is to know what rules apply, based on where we are..

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
NOTE - I hope the poster that initiated my first response realizes this is not directed at him specifically or personally-if you are ever in the area and not disinclined to hunting over bait or a foodplot, I'd host you for a hunt. You have initiated a discussion that needs to be reviewed and refreshed from time to time

Thanks Guys, I grew up living, breathing hunting, I've dog-hunted, baited and participated in managing deer on our property for well over 30 years. Hunting was simply putting meat on the table, when we dog-hunted, with 15-20 people, at the end of the day, the harvest was split into shares and lots were randomly drawn. Depending on how fancy the group was, a "Caller" would turn his back, and randomly call names, while a "pointer" would point at a different share on the cleaning table. Or if one of the hunters had been industrious, we might have a series of nunbered paired disks - one went on a stack of meat, the numbered mate went into the hat(a real hat BTW).. Each person drew from the hat and took his matching share.

Now we have the luxury of a much improved deer herd, and lifestyles that don't require supplemental game meat to feed the family, if we're so blessed.

Its a way of life here, we and plenty of other landowners actually MANAGE our properties intensively. Sustainablity and conservation aren't the new catchwords of the "Nouveau Elite" hunters, its been ingrained in a lot of our local practices a lot longer than I can remember.

regarding baiting, the irony is hard to ignore.. I always ask people that oppose baiting to consider a different wording of the rule... You can't shoot a deer when he's chewwing...

Since deer browse as much as 20 hours a day, while they meander around and the other 4 hours, they chew their cud (deer have rumens, so they regurgitate and re-chew their food) you can't shoot a deer - they are almost always chewwing.

They could be eating acorns... They could be eating planted soybeans.. They could be eating fresh sweetgum leaves.. They could be eating wild muscadine grapes that fell after a windy rain... They could be eating on a foodplot (which is technically the same as baiting, IMHO you put food at a specific location to attract deer) Nothing about baiting - OR planting foodplots guarantees a deer's presence at any particular location when you want them there, as any local hunter knows.. It is a 24 hour buffet they show up when they want to.

I reviewed my game camera pictures last night, two shooter 8-point bucks were feeding at the location - AT 2:00 AM. During Daylight hours, there was no activity - EXCEPT for a drove of 9, yes, NINE Gobblers.

In the overall equation, baiting AND foodplots add additional nutritional value to the environment. It supports other wildlife and its no guarantee of success..

About the biggest legitimate management arguement about baiting is NOT related to "fair chase" "ethics" "rules" or "unfair advantage" its about concentrating the population in one location and allowing communicable diseases to spread throughout the herd. Chronic Wasting Disease and some other deer diseases are a problem in the Northeast. One of the ways to limit the impact of the disease is to avoid baiting. Here we do not have that problem, at least not enough to make it become an issue, as far as I know.

Baiting and dog hunting have been in this area for decades, we hunt with modern weapons from August 15 to January 1 - the longest or one of the longest whitetail seasons in the nation - and we have yet to harm the deer population in this area. To the contrary it was also the "Nursery" that seeded plenty of other management areas that HAD depleted their resources and caused a complete crash of their whitetail populations..

The areas that DON'T have allowances for baiting, in a lot of cases, were the areas that lost their whitetail deer populations in the past, and as the programs to recover the populations progressed, stricter rules were imposed, than in areas that were not under such intensive management. They were repopulated with deer from the local population HERE!

The biggest problem with intolerance/misunderstanding other's hunting methods is that there really is no RIGHT way that works in all environments. What has been done, and has worked, is that individual areas determine what management model works for them. As long as the herd can sustain the management model, and is not in decline, there is no reason to change the method. Obviously, the converse would apply, if your population is on the decline, OR on the rise, you need to "tweak" the management model.

20-30 years ago, it was unacceptable to shoot a doe deer. Nowadays, because the herd is sound, deer-car collisions increased and the population appeared to be increasing in this area, improved management practices have been implemented, allowing us to take more does... at first, it seemed sooo wrong, it took a few years of tweaking, but the model began to work, and our hunting methods and management adjusted accordingly.. We took more does for the freezer and harvested fewer, but more quality, mature bucks.

We are stewards of our property and our area, because what we do affects the deer population local to us, if baiting "harmed" the deer population, it would have been eliminated a long time ago. In some areas, it is not recommended, but in other areas, with proper management, it is not the end of the deer population, either.

We as hunters are no longer bound as tightly to a successful hunt as the examples I provided from when we dog hunted. We have options, LOTS of options.. Rifle, bow, blackpowder, pistol, baiting, foodplots, dog hunting, management practices, etc, etc. The biggest disservice we give to hunting as a whole, is to break up into "Camps" and then begin to believe "My way is more or better than THEIR way"

Jim Zumbo learned that lesson a few years ago, regarding firearms. He made the paraphrased statement that a "Black rifle wan't a sporting/hunting gun" He immediately lost the respect and support of THOUSANDS of people that were finding MANY sporting purposes, including hunting with A/R style firearms. He lost his job over it, because of one thing - he was intolerant of another group of shooters/hunters, and diminished their CHOICE simply from a lack of understanding/ignorance. He can only speak about his preferences, but when he downed another's he crossed the line. Hunters and shooters have to remember that Divide and Conquer works, and as the current political class warfare shows, its a tactic that people opposed to guns and hunting WILL be glad to use.

A lot of people wrote off Jim Zumbo, very quickly, but Ted Nugent approached him and asked him to come hunt with him using A/R's and THEN form his opinion. After it was all said and done, Jim didn't exactly eat crow, but he did have to admit his error and preconceived notions were unfairly directed.

As long as we are legal, ethical and skilled to the point we can succeed in making a clean kill, we are all Hunters, how we succeed in putting meat on the table should not be a matter of division.

SC

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Ended the weekend off nice. My daughter killed a 4 point with her boyfriend in Savannah about the same time I killed a doe tonight. Wasn't going for a doe but some of my friends I gave the deer to got breakfast bacon done and they all said its to die for so I when she walked out tonight I just had to let the 450 bushmaster claim its prize. Lesson learned though. Absolutely can NOT shoot the 450 into the deers shoulder. Way to much meat damage. This is the second one that dropped in her tracks so good if you dont want to be looking for it but it left a 4.5" exit would on the opposite shoulder. It was down right gruesome. Took half the shoulder with the bullet. I have never seen anything like it before. There was blood splatter on everything. That is 10 deer for my family this year and we only started hunting Oct 2nd. Now if I can just get those nice bucks on my cameras to take one for the team.

Latest posts