How the mass murders in Aurora, CO have affected me.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Friends,

One of my old sayings is "You never know when you will run into some crazy person who will change the rest of your life." I developed this adage from life experiences and this is why I carry a concealed weapon and keep weapons at the ready while at home.

The recent murders in CO have only strengthend my resolve to be armed whenever I leave the house. I believe I will start "carrying" on my person while at home, both inside and outside. I don't know if I am having a paranoid reaction or not. I want to believe that I am making an attempt never to be caught in a situation where I cannot effectively defend myself or my family.

I have read and listened to opinions stating that having a concealed firearm is a false sense of security, and those of us who do carry a firearm are deluding themselves. I suppose I'd rather feel secure than anxious.

I also have heard blame placed on guns, the NRA, and firearms owners for what that "Joker" did. I believe the real issue is about free will and what choices humans make. No laws or threats of penalties can prevent a person to act on their own free will. A few societies have existed that made a real attempt to control free will, and none of them have been good for citizens' human rights or lasted for any length of time. I am thinking about Nazi Germany, The Soviet Union under Stalin, China's Cultural Revolution, just to name a few.

These past few days I have felt anger, frustration, fear and disappointment. I am disappointed in our society because I cannot be around people and not carry a degree of suspicion towards them. This makes me sad because I do believe that most all humans are good and righteous by nature.

Godspeed to everyone,

K

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Let me be the first to say that you are not paranoid. And if you are, then so am I. I've felt the same for some time now about carrying AND your observation of society, I just haven't said it as eloquently as you. Good post.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Good post Kevin. I find my emotions mixed. I think about what my response would have been. Would I have wet my pants or stood tall like my training has stressed? No one really knows until the masked gunman appears in your space.

I feel anger for those that spout rhetoric that makes no factual sense and pity for those that believe them.

I know one thing, if the situation presents itself, I will have my gun and we will all find out if I am a poser or not.

TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
I was sitting in MWC hospital waiting room thinking that none of my current pistols will defeat IIIA. So I came up with the idea that I could probably get 2000 fps out of a 6" 327 Mag with a small rifle primer, 60gr GoldDot, and as much H110 as I could fit in the case.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I have my CCW and have for some time now, I don't practice near as much as I should but I normally have my pistol near me but not on my person, I grew up in a rather small town and the people there were good people. I moved to the city almost 20 years ago and learned that not all people were good in a hurry! being from a small town we always had some sort of firearm with us probably the reason not much happened like the Colorado thing, in the almost 20 years being here if I would have not had a pistol I'm sure I would have been robbed at least 3 times and one time I feel it could have turned out worse! I never had to shoot anyone but the fact that they saw they didn't have the upper hand as they thought changed the outcome.

We have all these people that believe that guns are the reason these shootings happen and while they will never understand because most are stupid and just try to push thier thoughts on everyone a gun is just a tool, I have had my G23 for over 5 years and the thing has never just went off on it's own! it has been loaded all the 5 years I have had it, the ONLY way it will do anything is if I do something like pull the trigger! a shovel will not dig a hole by itself, a hammer will not drive a nail by itself see where I'm going?

The world has become a not so great place, people can't take care of themselves as the government has bailed so many out that most people are like sheep and when that wolf comes they are looking for that person to protect them, we can see that person to protect them doesn't always get there in time and many folks get hurt or killed! people these days are lazy and becoming more worthless with everyday the government is bailing them out of things. Some people do need help and I feel they should be helped but not the people who figure out the system and live off of it. People need to step up and take care of themselves plain and simple! if you can't take care of yourself who is going to do it?

I hate to admit it but the time I have been here I have seen myself become a different person, back home we hardly ever locked our doors, people would come in and we would have never thought of pointing a gun at them, we did not have to worry back then! today if someone came thru my door a gun would be pointed at them, I don't trust folks like I used to and that really bothers me that the times and actions of stupid people have made a simple country kid who just want's to do the best I can and have a fun life have to worry about things like am I going to get shot, mugged, broken into, everyday.

I miss the life I had 20 years ago back when things were simple and fun. Later,

Kirk

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm glad I got my CCW license a few months ago....I hope if a situation like this ever presented itself I would stay calm and focused and take the threat out....But, I don't know how I would react....When you have a wife and kids, I think most fathers/husbands would be over taken by their protective instincts and do whatever needed to be done to protect their loved ones....Just my opinion though

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I am not so much worried about the body armor.

The true consideration here is making a plan every time we arrive in a new setting.

Look around. who's there. what are they doing?.. what is cover? ....what is concealment?

Where should I sit? How can we get out?

That theater is a worst case event. It's dark, it's late and everyone is totally distracted because they are there to WATCH a movie.

Guy in armor with a plan...smoke... starts shooting.

A ccw person should cover... acess... and plan his action from there. First action- don't get shot. Second...plan a route out... Third... be ready to shoot if the assailant approaches.

If you are patient... you probably wont get shot... wont shoot the WRONG person and everything comes out ok. IF you pop up and start shooting how do you know if your not in a cross fire...or directing fire at a CCW guy who was already at the point were he has to shoot.

How long did it take for this guy to finish shooting? Every situation will be uniqe... survive, save your companions (if they follow directions -many won't -train your kids and wife) and live to be a good witness for the prosecution.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
In thinking about this and other mass random shootings and the reasons why, I have concluded that these events are largely media driven.
Never, ever had such a thing happened until the summer of '65 or '66 when a former Marine began sniping random people from the Un iversity of Texas tower. He killed and wounded a lot of people, mostly with a a bolt or possibly lever rifle and was eventually subdued and killed by law enforcement and civillians. He was discovered to have a brain tumor which was thought to be responsible for these heretofore unthinkable actions.
The media frenzy was extensive with looks into his childhood, life, service, jobs, actions, friends, etc.
And a few years later, there was another, and then another and then another until they become, if not routine, then at least not totally earthshaking to the public.
I can't help but think that some people who are unbalanced, suicidal, losers in life to have taken notice and said "viola! here is a way to my 15 minutes of fame". I'll get the attention that has escaped me all my life, get fuzzy headed pshrinks announced that I was somehow abused, and am in fact, a victim myself.
The solution? sorry don't have one. To get a media blackout on these people and events just ain't gonna happen.
Jim

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
In thinking about this and other mass random shootings and the reasons why, I have concluded that these events are largely media driven.
I can't help but think that some people who are unbalanced, suicidal, losers in life to have taken notice and said "viola! here is a way to my 15 minutes of fame". I'll get the attention that has escaped me all my life, get fuzzy headed pshrinks announced that I was somehow abused, and am in fact, a victim myself.

The solution? sorry don't have one. To get a media blackout on these people and events just ain't gonna happen.
Jim

The Media runs out of stuff to talk about pretty quick. Then they turn to "details". Most guys we have seen (Colubine, Aurora, Tuscon etc) are not "gun guys". Read the hunting section over at a place like Yahoo Answers and you will bear this out.

I think the media is almost a primer for those suicidal loosers to get an education on how to do something like this.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
I wear my gun in my holster all day the moment I get out of bed, no matter if I'm in my house, grocery shopping, or in the garage.

I learned the hard way. This happened to me about a year ago.

I wanted to get a quick bite to eat and walked out without my firearm. As I'm stepping out the door, it dawns on me that my firearm was still inside, but I shrugged it off and get in the car anyways. It's just a quick trip around town, afterall...

Long story short, I was the target of a possible car jacking / burglary and ended up fending for my life with just a pocket knife. I was stabbed from behind by an accomplice (a female) in the upper back 1" away from my spine and twice under my right arm that punctured my liver, while I was fending off the main attacker (male). These lowlifes were willing to stab and even kill me for maybe $20 that I had in my wallet (they were most likely addicts needing their next fix). There was no warning, no demand for money, nothing. I was instantly greeted to a knife thrusted to my face and I barely was able to grab the knife hand and deflect it in time or I would have taken a 4 inch blade to the throat.

Always carry. It could cost you your life or a really expensive hospital bill...

okshooter26

Well-Known Fanatic
Let me be the first to say that you are not paranoid. And if you are, then so am I. I've felt the same for some time now about carrying AND your observation of society, I just haven't said it as eloquently as you. Good post.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. haha just giving you a hard time

But seriously you arent alone, your just not trusting your safety to everyones, "good nature". Human beings are crazy panicky animals that for the most part just do things at the drop of a hat. Cattle basically have two speeds, graze and stampede.Humans are no different. In my opinion if you carry a firearm you are probably at least informed. those that dont, while I respect their choice and freedom to do so are at least a little naive. just my oppinion.

Latest posts