how raw can you cook hamburger

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
I grill hamburgers quite a bit and i like mine with some red, sometimes they are "really red", just curious to how raw you can cook hamburgers and still not get sick..

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I took food safety certification when I managed a sonic in high school. Ground beef is different than steak. Personally I would go little I no pink at the rarest.

dennishoddy

What Brandon said.
Burgers need to be 160 degree internal temps.
Steaks can be rare and be safe. All of the bad stuff is on the surface, and gets killed by the heat.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
My family from Wisconsin ears raw hamburger or Raw Dog as they call it. They put a salt and pepper on it, mix in done chopped raw onions and slap it in a piece of bread. They then wash it down with a lot of Bert and/or mixed drinks. I think the cheap beer and booze kill the bacteria. It also works as a laxative.

BLR

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis is right as long as it is 160-170 degrees in the center it is safe no matter how pink it is. It needs to be above 160 for a minute or two, that is why i like to try to get it a little above 160.

Podman

Well-Known Fanatic
Cooking hamburger ruins the taste. Like Jesse said above just add some pepper and onions and chase it with alcohol. :sarcastichand:

B

Beau

I like to make mine red in the middle. Like medium rare still kinda soft in the middle. Yall ever mix in some liquid smoke in your ground beef mix? You can keep them real juicy and flavorful without under cooking them.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Add some powdered onion soup mix and worcestersire sauce, pack loosely = awesomeness.

Oh yeah, I carry a G26 :D

I like to make mine red in the middle. Like medium rare still kinda soft in the middle. Yall ever mix in some liquid smoke in your ground beef mix? You can keep them real juicy and flavorful without under cooking them.

Latest posts