How much time?

teamacacia

Active Fanatic
I am really interested in getting into more of the competitive aspects of shooting but would like to know what it would take, time-wise, for the average shooter to get into the sport(s). Say, a couple hours a week at the range? more? less? As a beginner, I would say that I'm more into the idea of the sport as fun rather than trying to be a top competitor....but you never know how that might change.

dennishoddy

In my opinion, start by joining a local gun club. Shoot some easier matches like steel challenge, or rimfire fun matches. See how it all runs, then start with USPSA, and get going. It just depends on how fast and how deep you want to get into the sport.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
It takes 3-6 hours per match. I would say 75% of the shooters don't really practice they just shoot more matches for improvement. If you are an experienced shooter with good hand/eye coordination and any athletic ability you will do well right away. What kinda matches are u interested in shooting? We have ICORE and 3 gun coming up next weekend at OKCGC. There is also a fun carry gun match at Heartland outdoors Sunday night.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
There is also a fun carry gun match at Heartland outdoors Sunday night.
This is a great match to get your feet wet in the world of shooting matches. It's a must do especially since you're in Edmond. Plan on about 80 rnds give or take. Straight forward stages, not alot of gaming. Very inexperienced friendly. The regular scorekeeper/sign in overseer can be a ass, so can the new shooter orientation giver.... :D

Don't go "just to watch" you'll wish you'd brought your pistol. Go to shoot, it's no big deal, you won't be the only one shooting for the first time. It'll be well explained & there'll be plenty of help/guidance for you. You'll have a blast.

teamacacia

Active Fanatic
Are you a member of OKCGC?
Yes sir!

It takes 3-6 hours per match. I would say 75% of the shooters don't really practice they just shoot more matches for improvement. If you are an experienced shooter with good hand/eye coordination and any athletic ability you will do well right away. What kinda matches are u interested in shooting? We have ICORE and 3 gun coming up next weekend at OKCGC. There is also a fun carry gun match at Heartland outdoors Sunday night.
Heartland tonight???

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The matches I mentioned are next weekend. Tonight there us a great USPSA match at H&H. Sign in starts at 5:30. Doors are locked at 6:00. Good luck!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
July 17th at Heartland. If you want to learn how to shoot competitively, be there.

If you want to see a skinny middle aged guy kick a younger heavy set guy's ass, be there :)

teamacacia

Active Fanatic
July 17th at Heartland. If you want to learn how to shoot competitively, be there.

If you want to see a skinny middle aged guy kick a younger heavy set guy's ass, be there :)

As long as I'm not out of town next weekend, I'll be there! I presume it is similar to H&H in regards to starting time and finishing times? I'll try to check the comp pages for info.

Latest posts