How many rounds do I need for Limited?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
To paraphrase the great statesman Mike Cyrwus, "Limited minor is where three gunners go when they're slumming it in USPSA". That being said, I'd like to get into Limited major, but the only pistol I own above a 9mm is a Glock 41 in .45 ACP. I can get +4 basepads from TTI, which will give me 17 round magazine capacity. I've shot Production every match except the last two, so anything over 11 rounds seems like a Hollywood endless capacity gun to me. Is 17 rounds enough in most venues assuming my reloads are smooth, or should I just keep shooting minor until I get a .40?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
get a 40. The accuracy needed to do well in Limited Minor will be great practice for when you move to Major.

gng4life

Active Fanatic
If you are just hitting a USPSA match every now and then but are really focused on 3G, I would stick with your 9mm. Be sure get all or mostly Alphas in USPSA and you 5 points per hit just like the Major PF. If you plan to get serious with USPSA and not worry as much about 3G, then sell one and get a .40. If you want to be serious in both, you really need to get a good .40 to be competitive and keep the 9mm for 3G for the advantages it affords there.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
So get a .40. Damn it, more money gone. I would sell the G41 to get a G35, but it was the only gift I was truly surprised with, and my wife would glue my pecker to my belly while I sleep if I sold it.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The way stages are set up, you'll most likely be doing a reload at 12-14 rounds. Sometimes 18 rounds. In any case, in Limited you are often (enough) faced with needing to shoot 18ish rounds before or after the reload. Not all the time. But it happens a lot. If you had 17 rounds and a barney, and never missed steel or made up a shot, you'd be fine with .45ACP. Most stages are set up that you can shoot 12-15 at a few arrays+steel and then reload and finish up with 12-20 more shots. I don't think there's any rhyme to it, but pretty often there is a good opportunity to reload after 12-14 shots, and 16 tends to offer a standing reload, and 18 is more than your 17.

Try one of these on...and buy a .40

Attachments

• IMG_20423506288384.jpeg
    IMG_20423506288384.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 30

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
mike cyrwus said:
eff that. Shoot your 9mm.
A's get 5 points no matter the caliber
I agree 235%. The only reason to buy a .40 is because you simply want another custom Infinity and this is the excuse you tell your accountant.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I would try on just about anything to be able to buy a G35, but if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. She's done good with letting me enter the MO 3 Gun Championships, the Generation 3 Gun, trigger job for the G34, shotgun mods, and a case of Montana Gold bullets. I won't press my luck for a gun, at least not until I have a Vortex 1-6 and some Briley choke tubes. Priorities, you know.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
A's get five points no matter what, that is true. But I've been around USPSA long enough to know very few people shoots all A's, and sometimes speed gets higher hit factors, even with a few C's and D's thrown in. Maybe I'll stick with the idea of shooting my .45 in Production. 200 gr JHP making minor PF? Velocity measured by a sundial.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
All the divisions are fun and they all have their own specific challenges. I would say shoot limited minor with your 9mm for a while. See if you like it. If you find that limited is the game you enjoy most, go spend the money on a limited gun(Either a Glock 35/24 or a Hi cap 1911 generally). Shooting minor is a very slight disadvantage and if you're not in the running to win any majors matches this year, just shoot the gun you have. Building more proficiency with your gun and with USPSA shooting in general will only teach you more about exactly what kind of gun you want to buy later.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, and don't refer to me as Davie. That honor is reserved for my mom or the johns who pay the 35 bucks for the "Full tilt boogie, any way you want it" service.

Latest posts