How do I know if my M2 Ghost load mod is adequate?

Allen Range

Fanatic
Tried searching for the answer here and on Benos, but to no avail...

I modified my M2 bolt to allow for a ghost load by slighly enlarging the rear notch on the bolt. Using dummy shells I can load a shell on the lifter and one in the barrel and the bolt closes. I pull the trigger, hammer falls, and then when I cycle the action by hand the shell in the barrel ejects and the one on the lifter is loaded into the barrel.

The ghost loaded shell on the lifter is not exacly rattling around although it is not being tighly held down either.

Is there anything else I need to check for before attempting this with live ammo?

thanks,
Allen

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm not 100% sure on what does what on the guts of that groove but you won't be able to get a shell on the lifter to stay there when u close the bolt. The lifter will kick up the shell when u release the bolt if it's not cut. The depth of cut needed I'm not certain of though. if u post a pic I could compare it to mine.

Allen Range

Fanatic
OK. The next time I tear it down I will take a picture and post it up.

Here is what I understand to be the reason for the mod...

Without the mod the bolt won't close with a shell on the lifter because as the bolt is closing it is trying to bring the lifter up thus not allowing the bolt to close. Is that about right?

Allen Range

Fanatic
OK - I obviously didn't take enough time testing my work after reassembling the gun. Sorry for the false alarm... :scratchhead:

After taking another look at this thing it appears as the bolt won't close without trying pulling the lifter up so I must not have taken enough off. I will try and tear it down tonight and post a pic of what I have done before removing any additional material.

you want to bring the bolt just far enough back to place one on the lifter, if you go too far, it wont do it regardless

Allen Range

Fanatic
you want to bring the bolt just far enough back to place one on the lifter, if you go too far, it wont do it regardless

Thanks Mike - Will go over everything again this evening. Doing some more research I may need more of an angle on the notch. My work simply increased the size of the notch, but I think the rear side needs to be at closer to a 45 degree angle...

Allen Range

Fanatic
SUCCESS at last. Thanks to all here who walked through this process with me.

OK. After going over the gun again it would not allow a ghost load. So I starting working on the back angle of the expanded groove.

Once I got the back angle to about 45 degrees I could then keep the lifter down while closing the bolt with one on the lifter. I still don't know why this allows the lifter to stay down (or not come up), so if someone can explain it that would be great... there is suprisingly little on the web about how to actually make this mod to an M2 and nothing that I have found explaining the mechanics of the bolt\lifter relationship.

Attached is a picture of the groove before and after my latest mods. Hopefully I can get to the range after work tonight to test everything out. Since I am shooting in open division I would love to be able to start with 13 (11+1+1) when the stage allows a full gun start.

Thanks,
Allen

View attachment 2312

Attachments

• before-after.jpg
    before-after.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 241

Allen Range

Fanatic
you removed a lot more than you need to, but that will work fine. well done

Thanks Mike.

I tested the mod at the range over the weekend and it works great. Was able to start with 13 and the gun ran perfectly.

Now I just need my XXL nordic cap to come in and I can start with 14 :hunter:

Latest posts