Help picking a scope

tigerfan00

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm thinking about picking up a 10/22 target and I wanna put some decent (read as not expensive but will do the job) glass on it

I've NEVER bought a scope before outside of the single Leupold I have on my S&W 629 and that one came with the gun

Any suggestions for a decent scope for not a lot of money for a 22 that will likely see more use than most of my other firearms?

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a scope novice as well, but here's some shopping tips:
1. Never buy a scope you haven't looked through.
2. Rule 1 almost dictates that you can't buy anything that comes in a clam pack.
3. Eye relief (distance from eye to scope) is critical.
4. Don't get a higher power than is needed.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I have just bought 2 scopes for my 10/22's and I love them....

I hate to say it because of what bigfutz just posted...but, they were in a clam shell...

I bought a Simmons 4X32. It says for .22 mag. It came with the rings and everything. I just mounted on the 10/22 and just sighted it in at the range...

I was so impressed that when I got the 2nd 10/22...I went back and got one for it...

My Nephew and I have little shoot offs with them and neither wanted an advantage....

I got my scopes at Sports Authority. They were $40.00 plus tax...I love them...

Hope this helps.

Steve

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually the only reason I avoid the clam packs is that you don't know what you ate getting until you destroy the packaging. But if you have a good recommendation, it may be overruled. I know Simmons is considered cheap, but the one I had was a great scope, except it had too little eye relief for the 300WINMAG. But it did hold up and was very clear.

fordnut said:
I have just bought 2 scopes for my 10/22's and I love them....

I hate to say it because of what bigfutz just posted...but, they were in a clam shell...

I bought a Simmons 4X32. It says for .22 mag. It came with the rings and everything. I just mounted on the 10/22 and just sighted it in at the range...

I was so impressed that when I got the 2nd 10/22...I went back and got one for it...

My Nephew and I have little shoot offs with them and neither wanted an advantage....

I got my scopes at Sports Authority. They were $40.00 plus tax...I love them...

Hope this helps.

Steve

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
We have two .22 LR rifles which wear Bushnell 4x fixed optics. I also found them at Sports Authority on sale for <$50. They did come in a clam pack but they had a good warranty and Sports Authority had a good return policy so I felt ok about them. They have held up under a variety of field and range conditions from approx 0 degrees F with no humidity to >100 degrees F with high humidity. My wife and I both qualified as "riflemen" at Appleseed with the optic (after I came up one point short on the irons!).

With optics, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." If you want decent quality but low price I suggest going with a fixed power; the variable power will cost you more or will ding the quality. The 4X is about the most you need for just about any .22 LR task. I'd keep my eyes open for something in the $30-50 price range, on sale, with 4x fixed power, from a major manufacturer. You'll probably be ok. If you have a more demanding application then you'll want to spend more. I think you can get away with less generous eye relief on the .22 LR based on the low recoil. I wear glasses so I am sensitive to eye relief (too little relief + too much recoil = glasses in face) but it just isn't an issue with the .22 LR. I think that opens up some lower priced options.

I own a Bushnell Elite on a centerfire and we have two Leupolds in our house plus an Aimpoint as well, and the cheap Bushnells are perfectly serviceable on the .22s. The more expensive optics are obviously higher quality but the .22 Bushnell optics get the job done.

heymatthew

Well-Known Fanatic
I was a HUGE fan of my Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire Scope (I've actually got it listed in the classifieds because I switched to a red dot on that particular rifle otherwise it would still be on the gun).

It had bright, clear optics, smooth adjustments and really positive clicks on the windage/elevation adjustment knobs. I loved that I could adjust the windage and elevation with my fingers rather than with a screwdriver like I had to do on my Bushnell before. Makes it much easier to just reach up and turn it for sighting in. Once I sighted it in, it stayed there for the last several months and it would put a 22LR in the same hole every time if I did my part. Darn nice scope for the money. You can find them brand new on Amazon (where I got mine). Just do a search for Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 Rimfire. It will pull it right up. It's an EXCELLENT scope for the money and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better one in the $100-200 range.

Best of luck!

Latest posts