Have any used / for sale guns EVER had more than “200 down the tube”?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I usually buy new...or I try to get the best deal I can. I'm cheap when I buy used.

xusmico

Active Fanatic
I am a 40+ year aggresive collector, gun store haunter, rated on gunbroker and other auction, club and organization sites and I can not help but notice...........

Has anybody EVER seen a used gun for sale that had more that 200 rounds fired?

I am astounded at the number of ads that say "only 10 rounds fired"......."only 35 down the pipe" ........."less than 200 down the tube"............

Does anyone believe this crap? Does it matter?

That said, I almost never see a used gun that is even broken in so most people don't really shoot their guns (mostly because of lack of access to facilities or area is my guess) but a firearm is either NIB or USED. ( later model Colt 1911's are NIB or broken)

If you fired 1 round it might as well be a thousand.......it's a used gun.

Who believes ads for used glocks that have been stored in temp controlled darkness on a pillow of air, never touched without gloves, built by G-D himself and only test fired 20 rounds under sterile conditions then cleaned better than new?.........and don't question me on price...........

Just ask'n
Just a selling point... please believe me, only 200 rds. Just like when I used to arrest DUIs.... Only 2 beers,
in both cases, 99.9% of the time pure BS.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of my guns used, only 3 of my 1911's were bought new. Most of my used come from my LGS who is a good friend and he gives me a heads up if something he thinks I might like, offers me a great price and I take it or don't, I get much better prices from him than off local Armslist, the one that gets me are the "mint" LNIB, and talking about a used Glock 22 or something and want 25 bucks more than you can buy new for. Rarely look at Armslist anymore unless got a long wait somewhere and been thru all my emails. Thinking back don't think I've ever been burnt on a used gun, my true passion for firearms are 1911's, Glocks and AR 15's, well shotguns and AR's bout equal, my 2 USPSA guns are LEO trade in Glock 35 and 22 and they run just fine.

but I get the annoyance of how these adds worded and I honestly think folks selling on Armslist think they can get more because it's private transaction with no background check

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a 40+ year aggresive collector, gun store haunter, rated on gunbroker and other auction, club and organization sites and I can not help but notice...........

I am astounded at the number of ads that say "only 10 rounds fired"......."only 35 down the pipe" ........."less than 200 down the tube"............

That said, I almost never see a used gun that is even broken in so most people don't really shoot their guns (mostly because of lack of access to facilities or area is my guess) but a firearm is either NIB or USED. ( later model Colt 1911's are NIB or broken)

Who believes ads for used glocks that have been stored in temp controlled darkness on a pillow of air, never touched without gloves, built by G-D himself and only test fired 20 rounds under sterile conditions then cleaned better than new?.........and don't question me on price...........

Just ask'n

Just ask'n
I recently pick up a Glock 21,a 43 and an a S&W model 66 ,at the LGS , the Glock were never fired, and the Smith is in excellent shape .Sometimes you get lucky. I always check out the used gun section. I've never got one on line, I like to see it first.

DRD

Fanatic
For me personally, I'd say about half the plastic pistols I own have less than 200 rounds through them. If I don't like the feel or trigger, I set it aside after a few mags and ask myself why I bought the damn thing in the first place. They're rarely or never shot again.

As for metal pistols, I have liked many of them since they are most are high quality 1911's or German Sigs. Since I usually put 300 rounds through any pistol I like just to make me feel comfortable with it, 200 rounds zooms by in a week or two.

When I sell a gun (which is rare), I never try to blow smoke up anyone's arse (pardon my British accent). I have actually destroyed one gun since I'd never offer a "real dog" to anyone. I realize this might not be the norm, but so what, I'm old and old school.

RStone

Well-Known Fanatic

Just ask'n
Many gun owners buy a gun thinking it will be the one that shoots magic bullets that POA= POI. A box of cartridges is 50 rounds. Afterwards they find it is not to their liking. Doesn't shoot as great as their Captain America gun. They sell it "only 50 rounds through it". No big deal. Any buyer can look at a gun and look for wear and tell if it is worn out or fairly new. Doesn't stop me and I buy a lot of guns. Now general condition is Used and New but also Like New. Those are guns that people bought and gifted to someone who doesn't like the grip texture, back strap, front strap, doesn't like a thumb safety and they sell it. There is still factory goo on them. Great buy as they are the original owner and it is a used gun since I am buying a previously owned gun. Technically not new but Like New and I can word my ad honestly as such. I only buy my new guns from my distributors. The ones anyone else sells me are used, but those pearls may list as Like New.

Allanrg

Fanatic
The complaining whiner can go elsewhere if he doesn't trust the listers. Hi to Gunbroker and stop whining

EXPD

Fanatic
If anyone on this thread ever buy's a rifle or pistol from me it will have way more than 200 rounds through it. I buy them to shoot them, not to take up room in my safe.

Rotorflyr

Fanatic
As was mentioned, a lot of people go buy a gun they "think" they'll like, put a few mags or boxes of ammo thru it and decide it isn't for them, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that there are only 200 rds down the pipe (probably happens a lot actually)

Does that mean every listing/seller is accurate? Heck No....some may honestly not remember how many times they shot it and some are just outright lying.
The way I look at it is if you're buying used (especially sight unseen) then expect used not new.....if you happen to get (like) new, great!

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
This happened a lot with 44 mags . After Dirty Harry came out everybody had to have a model 29 . Then they shot it and went oh shite . A lot of guns went back in safe and stayed their a long time . Or , like myself they got into reloading so they could actually enjoy the gun . There are a lot of pre owned guns out there , very slightly used . But caveat emptor . I really like to visually inspect it myself .

Charlie Byrd

Fanatic

Just ask'n
Hi, so how do you feel about a used automobile with 300 hundred thousand miles going for the cost of one with 200 miles on it. Should they go for a similar (close) price? Do not parts exhibit wear according to the amount of use?

Magicmanmbsc

Fanatic
I do have a few that have less than a magazine through. If I ran across a deal like a local dealer that was closing due to illness I bought @cost to put 1 in safe , 1 as a carry. Had a 4506 & 4506-1 that I alternated carrying my last was my retirement pistols a model 66 & 4506 that had been sitting in grease since the agency purchased them specifically for engraving as retirement guns. The ones we actually carried they had us surrender to trade for .40 M&P's. We hated those with a passion & those that we're authorized to carry personal weapons did so.