Has anyone ever tried an airsoft gun for training?

jeffsoward

Founding Member
I've read some threads on other boards about using an airsoft gun for training and I always dismissed it as silly.
My boys are into airsoft and they wanted new airsoft guns for their birthdays'. I got my oldest boy this gas blowback pistol that's built like an STI (with a little different slide setup).
this gun is amazing. We're using propane in it and it's got recoil similar to my Ruger MKIII. The weight and feel of the gun (Metal slide and upper frame, polymer lower frame) is similar to my 1911. It's fun to shoot (but stinky with propane) and amazingly accurate.
Here's a vid review of the gun he got (note- if you want to skip the review garbage and watch the action, skip to 4:25);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyf3Cv1lDpE&feature=player_embedded#at=273

has anyone ever used one for training (like the gun in the vid)?

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I have one - I know that Jesse uses one in the winter months....want me to bring it by on Sunday??

It uses propane - 2011 style - blowback - it ROCKS

jeffsoward

Founding Member
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=121.msg856#msg856 date=1285164774]
I have one - I know that Jesse uses one in the winter months....want me to bring it by on Sunday??

It uses propane - 2011 style - blowback - it ROCKS
[/quote]
I know, right? I was amazed at it. I didn't really have any expectations of it, but it's really cool.
Now I'm thinking that I want one for garage training, but I'll have to use green gas or CO2, cause the propane is too funky for a closed garage.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I use the propane inside LOL - everyone loves the smell of some propane

its WAYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper than green gas - plus you have to buy green gas local - its no longer allowed to be shipped....

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I wish there was an M&P airsoft that was worth a damn. I looked into some last spring but all the reviews I read on the M&P airsofts were bad.

I intent to really work on movement this next year, and I thought it would be nice to have a reciprocating gun just to do some sight watching when Im practicing.

I had thought it was gimmicky, but I see some validity in its use.

jeffsoward

Founding Member
[quote author=mike cyrwus link=topic=121.msg883#msg883 date=1285171948]
I intent to really work on movement this next year, and I thought it would be nice to have a reciprocating gun just to do some sight watching when Im practicing.

I had thought it was gimmicky, but I see some validity in its use.
[/quote]
I thought the same thing. But after shooting this one, feeling the weight, recoil and even the mags, it really seems like a viable option.
The function of the blowback allows you to draw, fire and reload. My son's came with an extended slide stop and ambi safety so shooting to slide lock, reload and return to battery is realistic as well.

You can draw, fire, and reload through dryfire of your real gun.

I wouldnt use an airsoft as a replacement of dryfiring your real gun, just a supplement.

If youre not doing a dedicated dry fire program with your real pistol, I would forget thinking about an airsoft for training

jeffsoward

Founding Member
[quote author=mike cyrwus link=topic=121.msg891#msg891 date=1285177201]

I wouldnt use an airsoft as a replacement of dryfiring your real gun, just a supplement.

If youre not doing a dedicated dry fire program with your real pistol, I would forget thinking about an airsoft for training
[/quote]
No, I wasn't talking about the drills, I was talking about live simulation.
I do dryfire and reload drills about an hour a night. I was talking about double tap practice, transitions and reload/repeat. two and three target arrays and such.
I'm thinking about it to add another hour to practice. Do the muscle memory drills, then do some beep-pop -pop drills.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Mike,

How do you dry fire your M&P?

I mean after the initial dry fire, it doesn't reset. Do you just squeeze the trigger anyways?

I like to dry fire to feel the trigger break and for sight picture. It just really bugs be that I can't feel the trigger everytime without racking the slide.

On draws, I reset it by giving it a quick rack.

On multiple shot draws/transitions, etc., I just press it back after the first shot, and just use the slack.

If you concentrate on the front sight 100%, youll not even notice that the trigger is not reset.

Dont sweat the small stuff, when it comes to dry fire, attitude is everything. Do what you can with what you got.

I know exactly what you mean; little things can get to you during practice if you let it.

If you dont let things get to you in practice, little things wont get to you in a match.
;)

theres a life-story in there somewhere. 8)

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
[quote author=mike cyrwus link=topic=121.msg891#msg891 date=1285177201]

[/quote]
After talking to Chris Anderson who has used Airsoft alot (for those that didn't know Mike) I am convinced that it can be beneficial for a C class shooter like myself to move upwards alot faster. For those in A class and above I'm skeptical that it's of any great benefit other than to keep target acquisition/muscle memory sharp.

For me it will be a benefit because I can't practice things like shooting on the move, drawing from a holster, heck just about everything we do at Tri-City. I can do all this and more in my back yard. And that dang Texas star airsoft target is just calling my name!

But you are dead on that you shouldn't stop the dryfire drills with your real gun.

Red River Ammo Co.

.380, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP
We had several of the m&p models at the office and we were very pleased w/ their performance. They are pretty stout and feel very much like an m&p. We bought them solely for fun, but have since used the for room clearing practice and for trying to make our mothers' predictions of losing an eye come true ;-). Seriously though use safety gear!

jeffsoward

Founding Member
I can tell you that when I showed Mitch the one I got for my son, he was floored.

I've already decided that I'm gonna get one for practice and play. i gotta shoot the boys once in a while. :)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have two Glock 17's and a 2011. They are a great addition to your dry fire practice routine. I just purchased a couple of plate racks and about 15 target stands from Bam Airsoft. So Chris Andersen and I will be holding an Oklahoma State Airsift match in our garages this winter. It should have at least 5 stages and hopefully more. If anybody buys any targets let me know so we can make this a big match.

Hump66

Founding Member
I wish there was an M&P airsoft that was worth a damn. I looked into some last spring but all the reviews I read on the M&P airsofts were bad.

I've been looking for one too, but I cant find a blowback style. I'll probably get one to at least practice mag changes.