Hammerstrut strikes sear when cocked

Dogrocket

Fanatic
Para 1911 locks up when I rack the slide mostly. Sometimes I get hammer follow when racking. And a few times when racking and dry firing the hammer stops on half cock. I know that is a lot of symptoms. This gun has a lot of issues. I bought a used Para Expert 14.45 (Charlotte NC, 80 series trigger) on GunBroker. At the range it shot fine for the first couple of sessions. I use the Para 14 round double stack 45 APC magazines and Remington 15 round mags. Then one day the gun jammed. It was cocked but the trigger would not move. I stripped it down and found the sear pin was bent. That was weird. Never saw that before. Did I say that I bought the gun used? Changed out the bad pin and the gun was fine for a couple of sessions at the range. And then it jammed again. Stripped it down to inspect everything. I put it back together and on the bench it would lock up when cocked or sometimes a hammer follow when working the slide. I swapped out the sear spring. No joy. I removed the grip safety so I could look inside while pulling back the hammer. What I found was when the hammer was pulled back the hammer strut contacted the sear. Something else is not right. So I ordered the Ed Brown sear disconnector and hammer set to swap out the MIM parts. While I am waiting on Brownells I changed the parts using some leftovers from a Colt. I got the same result. So I took a Dremel to the used parts. I relieved the hammer strut slightly and put a small notch on the lower edge of the sear until I could see daylight between them when cocked. Now it doesn't jam anymore but the hammer sometimes stops on half cock. Having multiple issues has thrown me for a loop. I really like this Para with the 14 round capacity and want to get it right.

Mikey

Fanatic
Without a picture or pistol in hand I will say the sear is not fit properly. The hammer notch where the sear engages has bin altered possibly filed or stoned deeper than specifications. This will cause the sear to swing out further than normal. The sear is stoned to much allowing it to seat deeper causing the sear bottom to swing out more. The hammer strut is oversized not likely but take a look. You may solve the problem with the parts you have ordered it does not take much on stoning sear and hammer notch to change the angles significantly. You didn't mention the safety but I bet it also has issues. From your description the sear is being tripped but not moving far enough to allow it to clear the hammer safety notch on firing check your overtravel it will also cause this. Like I mentioned the parts you ordered are all the suspected problems and will solve all the problems I hope.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
A multitude of issues, like Mikey commented. Does your para have a trigger that has adjustable over-travel?

Dogrocket

Fanatic
Yeah, the trigger is adjustable. I backed out the screw until flush. Still waiting on Brownells.

Dogrocket

Fanatic
The new parts arrived. They dropped in without any fitting. The thumb safety is a little stiff but I can live with it. Well no more issues. The slide and trigger operate properly and the hammer strut clears the sear. One thing I noticed was the old disconnector was slightly shorter than the new one. Mikey you're right, stoning or altering a part changes it's geometry significantly. TKS Dogrocket out.

Mikey

Fanatic
The new parts arrived. They dropped in without any fitting. The thumb safety is a little stiff but I can live with it. Well no more issues. The slide and trigger operate properly and the hammer strut clears the sear. One thing I noticed was the old disconnector was slightly shorter than the new one. Mikey you're right, stoning or altering a part changes it's geometry significantly. TKS Dogrocket out.
All good news I am glad that it all worked out for you. By parts comparison you could tell real quick you didn't waste your money on the new parts it really need them. It will now be good to go for thousands of rounds.

Latest posts