Gun transitions

Eric1231

Well-Known Fanatic
When shooting a classifier like flying by 1,2,or 3 what is good gun transition time shot to shot for a pro or semi pro? Starting with the shotgun what time should you target for your first shot and what splits are pro's shooting with a shotgun on stage like this?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
A fast start on shotgun with a guest shot hit would be .75-1.0 seconds for me.

A fast pistol draw is .75- 1.0 seconds.

Add .75-1.5 seconds from last shotgun shot to start of pistol draw.

So fastest I'd think I could transition is 1.5 with lots of reps prior to shooting that.

2.5-3.0 being more in the normal speed of a shotgun to pistol transition.

I'll run this through the timer this week to verify. It's been awhile since I've worked it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jesse, I think he's asking for splits not necessarily gun change times

jtischauser

Jesse Tischauser said:
Their web stuff isn't the most organized yet. I think they still have it farmed out.
I did email Charles Sole and Chad Adams letting them know that there were concerns that non members couldn't see that info.

Eric1231

Well-Known Fanatic
I am defiantly losing my time on the transitions with the shotgun. I am in .4-.45 range. Do you guys have any drills live or dry fire to improve this. Gun transitions I am right a round 2.0 seconds.

jtischauser

To increase your shotgun target transitions you need to get a good aggressive stance so that the gun isn't knocking you backwards.

Once you pull the trigger you need to be snapping your eyes to the next target while at the same time driving your gun with your legs and hips to the next target.

Other then that a .20-.25 splits between targets isn't too difficult.

In order to get below .16-.18 splits you need to have the targets really close together like a plate rack and then you really gotta work that trigger. Barely letting it out far enough to reset it then pulling it again.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm no pro but from what I've seen, most people are intimidated by the shotgun & don't shoot near as fast as they can.
My advice is to man up & shoot that ****. After a few tube dumps on a full size IPSC, you'll realize it's not a big deal to shoot a shotgun.

Eric1231

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree time to man up and spend couple practice sessions working on shooting fast.

Latest posts