Gun pics on social media? Think twice fore you post

Trek

Fanatic
I have never posted pics on-line being wary of who or what was collecting information.
Article in townhall.com, todays date, about socail meida sites recording serial numbers of weapons. Doing a google search you just might see your serial number pop up in a pic if you posted without blurring the SN.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Whoa... I never thought about that! I have posted a few closeups of my RIA 1911 .45 ACP, where (if you really look - or perhaps upload it into Photo Shop, etc..) you just might be able to make out the serial number! :eek:

m/v MOJO

Fanatic
I don't use social media at all, but I've never really understood the sensitivity regarding serial numbers. Please educate me... What nefarious deed can someone do if they have the serial number of a weapon you own?

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I too would be interested in what someone could do with my exposed serial #.

There have been times when I have duct taped over my serial number(s) for sheriffs who were trespassing on my ranch for purposes of harassing us about shooting and demanded to see my gun(s).......but I was just "hasseling back". (And in the case of the police there is certainly good reason not to allow your serial numbers to be recorded without good cause)

But I have to admit, I fail to see the concern about a serial number getting out in the wild.

Please advise ANY percieved AND particularly any factually known damages that HAVE or could have resulted.

I am very interested.

Thx

Latest posts