Good Novel and Manual

Curtis

New Fanatic
I Just finished reading James Wesley Rawles Book "Patriots: A novel of survival in the coming collapse" and really enjoyed it because it was like a survival manual put to fiction. It's about 400 pages but worth the read. He also published "How to survive the end of the world as we know it" and runs survivalblog.com.

Red River Ammo Co.

.380, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP
I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. He has a new non-fiction book out that is a practical guide to preparing for disaster.

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks pretty good, and it's kindle available, wishlisted! Thanks for the suggestion!

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
I have read this book. It took a while but well worth it. I have loaned it out as well. Very good read with A lot of practical info.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been on SurvivalBlog before but had no idea he wrote a novel. Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
After my uncle gets done reading it he is going to let me borrow a book called One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It's about an electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States by unknown attackers. And we have been knocked back into the 19th century and how people deal with it living here in the 21st century. He said that so far it's a real good story.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Well he gave me the book yesterday after a funeral we had to go to. Started reading at 2pm and read the entire ride back to work in western KS. After checking in to the motel and grabbing something to eat jumped back into it. Finished it up around 1am. Great story about the US going completely off the grid so to speak and using their own survival skills. Martial law coming into play and food and medical supply rationing. How small towns worked with or against each other like in an instant they are 2 different countries. It really rings true to how we are so dependent on electronics and technology and what would happen if that were suddenly taken away.

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
Well he gave me the book yesterday after a funeral we had to go to. Started reading at 2pm and read the entire ride back to work in western KS. After checking in to the motel and grabbing something to eat jumped back into it. Finished it up around 1am. Great story about the US going completely off the grid so to speak and using their own survival skills. Martial law coming into play and food and medical supply rationing. How small towns worked with or against each other like in an instant they are 2 different countries. It really rings true to how we are so dependent on electronics and technology and what would happen if that were suddenly taken away.

No go pick up Lights out. It is a great story along the lines of patriots but to me it may even be a little better because it follows people that were not prepared but are dealing with the situation in very good ways to sustain their way of life.

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
I just finished "Lights Out" great book. Waiting on "One Second After" looking for the brown tuck to bring it in a few days.

SigPig

Founding Member
I found a book yesterday that may be of some interest. It is "Just In Case" by Kathy Harrison. Picked it up at Barnes and Noble. It is a very good how to type of book. If you are just getting started or have been at it a while you will definately learn something with this book.

Jon3830

Active Fanatic
yeah I was not a fan of the book and after I did some research on Rawles and read some of his blog I am not a fan of him either and I would not recommend that folks use his writings as a manual.

SMS

Well-Known Fanatic
yeah I was not a fan of the book and after I did some research on Rawles and read some of his blog I am not a fan of him either and I would not recommend that folks use his writings as a manual.

The book was a little too full of tacti-cool...but was still entertaining.

What did you find out during your research of Rawles that turned you off?

Jon3830

Active Fanatic
The book was a little too full of tacti-cool...but was still entertaining.

What did you find out during your research of Rawles that turned you off?

IMO I don't think he is all that cut out to bet giving people guidelines to stay alive, he was a military intelligence captain in the army who never saw any real world action, so I don't see how he all the sudden knows so much about the killing business. When Clinton got elected president he popped smoke and resigned his commission so I feel his leadership skills are not that solid since he was so willing to leave his soldiers just because he didn't like the guy coming into office. The guy is just another cubicle commando that is good at telling a story, his book was the first one of that genre that I have read or tried to read I didn't make it all the way through his book before I got annoyed with it.

SMS

Well-Known Fanatic
Good points. He's sure carved out a nice little niche for himself though....

I'm not a Rawles kool-aide drinker, but the only problem I've seen with his information is the heavy reliance on fear mongering and 'the sky is falling' to sell his goods/services (but isn't that the nature of the 'suvivalist' industry anyway?) Otherwise most of it is technically/procedurally sound.

Remember the old Robin Williams movie, Survivors or something like that? Loved the part where the guy running the retreat was exposed as a fraud when his doomsday briefcase was found to contain stock options and vacation property paperwork. I can see Rawles sitting around counting his cash in the same fashion....or he's right and we're all screwed.

ratski

New Fanatic
When Clinton got elected president he popped smoke and resigned his commission so I feel his leadership skills are not that solid since he was so willing to leave his soldiers just because he didn't like the guy coming into office.

I understand what you are saying, and don't want to hijack the thread or get into a shouting match, but...

I know several folks that did this.

If you can't respect the person giving the orders, how are you going to be able to follow them or get your men to follow them?

Standing on someone's principles is important also.

Dave

Latest posts