Glock trigger question for a newbie

Smitcheck

Active Fanatic
Is the connector the only thing to replace? What is the reasoning behind changing the various springs offered in the ghost kit (trigger, firing pin and firing pin safety springs)?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
most of the mods offered for a Glock trigger will smooth out the pull and lighten the trigger. Most are offered to make Open class ("race") guns faster in competition shooting.

for carry guns... maybe a simple polish job will take care of the gritty feel in some factory triggers. (look up .25 cent trigger job)

If you can learn the factory trigger... there is about 3/4 inch take up... about 1/8 or so "fire" and about 1/8" of an inch reset... so it can fire again. Once you learn the factory trigger... you can shoot the gun as fast as you will ever need too - at least for carry gun or IDPA purposes.

Thats my .02...

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Please don't take this wrong as it's not meant to be but will sound like it! if you are asking what about your trigger dude do some reading and research, make sure you fully understand what different things do in your trigger before changing things out cause if you do something a little different you may find yourself with a empty mag saying I only pulled the trigger once!

Glock triggers are not the best thing since sliced bread but the pistol goes boom and they are safe tools, if you can figure out the stock trigger what some call tick or click shooting, that's when all that take up till you hit the wall then it goes boom keep the trigger back and start letting it back out slow until you hear the click and stop! now press the trigger again see how much easier it is?

Last I checked you have a choice of 4.5#, 5.5# and 8# triggers 4.5 having the - stamped on it, 5.5 has no mark and the 8# is this little doodad looks like a triangle with a spring. Do the .25 cent trigger job and your 4.5# trigger will be 3.5-4# add a spring kit and it goes down to 3-3.5# add a connector your getting into the 2-2.5# range to go further down in weight it gets expensive!

I don't think a light trigger on a carry pistol is a good idea! say you have your finger on the trigger and someone goes BOO your all tense and the adrenalin is flowing and you pucker up and that thing is going off! I think a heavy trigger is just another thing you have to get thru and if your really in fear for your life a 15# trigger will feel light. My carry pistol has the factory 5.5# trigger and if ya can learn the click method you can shoot as fast as you would like.

My limited USPSA pistol is right there at the 3# mark since I can still control when it goes off, it's light enough to be easy but just enough to know where your at with the trigger.

To your question, all you really need for a damn nice trigger is a spring kit and polish your factory connector to remove the burrs so it'll be smoother cost you a bit over $10. Later,

Kirk

Smitcheck

Active Fanatic
Jeff & Kirk: Thanks for taking time out to answer. I guess I should have stated initially that I am not trying to go competitive other than the carry competitions at Heartland and my 23 is for defensive purposes.

I saw in another post by Mike (accurate iron) that he recommended a trigger job, good sights and training. I am trying to get educated about triggers to figure out if any modification is necessary at all (including a polish). In the process of reading about it, I have seen where some people just dropped in the connector (3.5/4.5 Ghost/LW) and some dropped in the connector + replaced the springs. Sadly, nobody bothered to explain why they did one or the other. Is replacing the springs a good idea if you replace the connector? Why or why not?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Jeff & Kirk: Thanks for taking time out to answer. I guess I should have stated initially that I am not trying to go competitive other than the carry competitions at Heartland and my 23 is for defensive purposes.

I saw in another post by Mike (accurate iron) that he recommended a trigger job, good sights and training. I am trying to get educated about triggers to figure out if any modification is necessary at all (including a polish). In the process of reading about it, I have seen where some people just dropped in the connector (3.5/4.5 Ghost/LW) and some dropped in the connector + replaced the springs. Sadly, nobody bothered to explain why they did one or the other. Is replacing the springs a good idea if you replace the connector? Why or why not?

a little search tells me that if you change out the parts as a set..you will get a predictable trigger weight... mix and match may get some other results as far a pull goes.

I think for most folks they are trying to get a 1911 trigger on a Glock somehow... it's gonna be heavy and long... but the parts change can get it tolerable to folks who like to spend money and have a purpose for doing so.

for me... stock parts and a little polish seem about right. Your milage may vary

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
What kind of a trigger are you looking for? let's start with that and go from there.

If this is a carry gun just polish the connector I think you will be bounds ahead, you don't want a light trigger on a carry gun in my mind due to the stress if you have to actually use the thing. A scared body is a rather strong thing like I said above if your scared 15# would seem light.

Your NEVER going to get a single action trigger on a Glock but you can make it better! for a comp gun I like a 3# trigger and this was acomplished by polishing the connector and a comp spring kit on my carry G23 I keep it at 5# by polishing the connector and that's it.

Learn to tick shoot the Glock you'll be surprised. Later,

Kirk

a trigger job on a glock could be anything from a polish to a full blown do everything.

99% of folks, robably like you would be just peachy starting off with a glock 3.5 connector, some sights, and then training.

to shoot well, you need to know what the trigger does, how it feels, what you need to do, when the gun fires, before, during and after.
Something smooth and reliable, like just throwing in a 3.5# connector and maybe a lil polish, will take you quite a ways until you ever feel that the guns holding you back.
Give someone a "hair" trigger, or something really light, is very much counter productive to your shooting progress. most folks will just slap away at the trigger without realizing all that needs to happen in order to shoot fast, accurately.
I can talk to you about slack, and walls, and overtravel, but until you get some either good training with a knowledgeable friend, or better yet, take a class, its just wasted info.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Leave it stock and shoot it. When you think you're better than the gun, then maybe trigger work.

Latest posts