Garand Build

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
295907F1-C9F9-4DCF-B8AC-D800E89B067C.jpeg

My BNL and I got to attend the CMP Advanced Maintenance Class in 2019 and built a .308 Garand from scratch. If you get a chance it was a great class and the rifles we built are excellent.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
i want one of those but cant see the price for one
The 308 Garands are harder to find.

@Imaduckin If you want a Garand, your best bet is to do what I did and get a Field Grade or Rack Grade from the CMP. That way you're not paying $1k+ to get into a Garand. Though finding .30-06 Springfield right now is a pain in the ass, every time I go to PSA Summerville they've got 8mm Mauser on the shelf but not .30-06 Springfield, it's a conspiracy I tell you!

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
Do the 308s have any advantages/disadvantanges for shooting or collecting over the 30-06?

I would like a Garand and already have some 308 rifles but no 30-06s.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Do the 308s have any advantages/disadvantanges for shooting or collecting over the 30-06?

I would like a Garand and already have some 308 rifles but no 30-06s.
Quite honestly if you want an affordable Garand go through the CMP ( Civilian Marksmanship Program - https://thecmp.org )
Try and get a Field, Rack, or Service Grade, well worth it.
Right now I'm in dire need of .30-06 for my M1, the prices and scarcity have been bleak in my area.

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
I
Quite honestly if you want an affordable Garand go through the CMP ( Civilian Marksmanship Program - https://thecmp.org )
Try and get a Field, Rack, or Service Grade, well worth it.
Right now I'm in dire need of .30-06 for my M1, the prices and scarcity have been bleak in my area.
I have been looking the past few weeks at the CMP site. Right now the only thing available is the Expert level in 308 and 30-06. They come with new stocks and barrels. All of the other models are sold out. Any idea if the other grades will be available in the future?

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
I

I have been looking the past few weeks at the CMP site. Right now the only thing available is the Expert level in 308 and 30-06. They come with new stocks and barrels. All of the other models are sold out. Any idea if the other grades will be available in the future?
It happens sporadically so just keep looking, if something pops up get your paperwork done and in fast.

Latest posts