Forum suggestion

Thatguy

Active Fanatic
Hey there ladies & gentlemen,

Not sure where to put this so I figured I'd put it here and have it moved if it's in the wrong section. I know I'm like the new guy here but would like to throw out a forum suggestion.

I use my smartphone for what seems like constantly all day. I also frequent a couple of forums online. What I've found is an app called "Tapatalk" that a lot of forums use. Not sure how exactly to install it on the forum but the forum administration has to install Tapatalk for the app on a phone to work with that forum.

I'd encourage you all to check it out and maybe administrators could incorporate it, which I do believe is free.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i am not in that group. i have enough trouble using my phone to make phone calls. cant stand or understand texting. its a phone, for talking to people. texting and driving? why?
i do like the ap, which i cant get cause i just have a plain phone, that shows where all the planets and space station and such are. have you seen it?

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm with thatguy. I have an iPhone, so I like to check in on the Forum whenever I have a minute to spare. I've noticed other forums have a popup whenever using my phone that says they are Tapatalk compatible, but this is the main forum I frequent, so I haven't bothered buying the app. If you highly recommend the app, I will research it and see if I can push it up the chain.

Tigerstripe, I used to think exactly like you. But I finally caved, and now I couldn't go back to a dumb phone. My iPhone takes excellent pictures and videos, which I can immediately post to the Forum; it has ballistic calculators, rangefinders, price scanners, and all sorts of neat gadgets. It is IMHO a revolutionary device.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i was in the Revolutionary War, cant read that little stuff.

hell nobody calls me anyway, i just have one cause my wife HAS to have one and i get one free.

never fails, never, when we are at walmart and "somehow" get seperated, ill call her and her phone is in the car.

BOB Gotts, i just called you and left my number. CALL BACK.

Thatguy

Active Fanatic
So I've checked and Tapatalk is a forum sided plugin that is FREE to use. The app for mobile phones I think is $1.99 but well worth it IMO. I use it a lot :p

It's also easy to enable / disable tapatalk compatibility on the forum. I noticed this forum is phpBB, but not sure which version. Tapatalk will only work with phpBB version 3.x

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
tapatalk says it will work on this version, there are a few concerns though.
Aside from being one more thing to keep working and up to date, the way it seems to work is by acting as a type of proxy server meaning everything that is read on the tapatalk is passed through their server. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I wonder if it is really a good thing since they will also filter everything you read and type and wrap the post in highly targeted advertising. They have an ad free version, but it's $800. :shock:
We spend nearly that much on a Shootzenfest. In the 2 1/2 years we been up we've spent every dime of sponsor revenue on the ShootzenFests and always paid the rest out of pocket. And we're trying to keep advertisements from overtaking the board. We may open another advertising window in the future, but I don't know if it will immeadiately cover the $800 cost for this mod.

I'll let you know.

Pops
;)

Thatguy

Active Fanatic
Pops said:
tapatalk says it will work on this version, there are a few concerns though.
Aside from being one more thing to keep working and up to date, the way it seems to work is by acting as a type of proxy server meaning everything that is read on the tapatalk is passed through their server. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I wonder if it is really a good thing since they will also filter everything you read and type and wrap the post in highly targeted advertising. They have an ad free version, but it's $800. :shock:
We spend nearly that much on a Shootzenfest. In the 2 1/2 years we been up we've spent every dime of sponsor revenue on the ShootzenFests and always paid the rest out of pocket. And we're trying to keep advertisements from overtaking the board. We may open another advertising window in the future, but I don't know if it will immeadiately cover the $800 cost for this mod.

I'll let you know.

Pops
;)

Holy smokes I didn't know that. $800 is a bit much. We need more members for all of that to be worth it. Thanks for looking into it though Pops!

ConditionOne

Well-Known Fanatic
One other, relatively minor consideration is that when you visit Tapatalk-enabled forums via a normal mobile browser, you get a popup message informing you that "this forum is Tapatalk enabled," and includes a link to download the Tapatalk client for your mobile device... every single time you go there.

For non-Tapatalk users, it's mildly obnoxious if you are a regular visitor. Not much of a concern for me personally, as I'm usually at my desk when I browse PSF, but it may be more of an issue for others.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Possibly could do a few modifications just to make it more cell phone friendly.

Will send a message to Pops about it!

Latest posts