FN MK1 for 3 gun?

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
What do you 3 gunners think of this shot gun?

The price point sure is nice - and it appears loaded out ready to go...

51795.jpg

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I really thought about getting one. I talked myself into a Benelli with the aid of the OKC Spaghetti Shooters.

Then I got a smokin' deal on a Benelli SBE, so that's really what sealed it. But the FN SLP MKI is a great shotgun!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
This is the gun they're shooting on 3 gun nation. I haven't seen any malfunctions from any of them on the show.
It appears to be pretty reliable. Although, Jerry Miculek didn't have anthing good to say about it.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I certainly won't call myself a 3gunner but I like to make noise and I love mine. PM me sometime and we'll go to Tri-City and you can shoot it. It's one of my favorite guns.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
The lifter needs to be welded up so you can load it and it's probably good insurance to have the piston sealed since it seems the spring assembly in there likes to break. Some buckshot rounds are too long to fit 8 in the tube so you may want to get Nordics +1 extension to get a true 8+1 if your particular ammo selection is a little long.

I've heard tell of FN bringing a model with a welded lifter and much lighter vent rib barrel to market, you may want to do some checking about that.

I found mine for around $750, lately I've not been able to find one for a similar price. What I have seen though are lots of M1S90's and M2 Americans going for around that price with 21-26" vent rib barrels, may want to check that route as well.

3gun nation edited the parts where it malfed! seriously....

Its a pretty good SG for 3gun and is a close #2 behind a benelli M1 or M2.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I figured there could be some editing going on, but I don't have enough first hand knowledge to say anything bad about them. The only bad I've heard was Jerry Miculek's interview, which wasn't bad, just not good. I think for a shooter as experienced as him, he'd be pretty hard to please with any unfamiliar gun.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I just remembered there's a thread on benos where one of the Noveske guys goes over a few problems with their associated fixes.

Now for the aside, I really want a manufacturer to step up and create a really well thought out purpose built practical shotgun that's just as reliable as the pistols and rifles available.

Right now we have FNH who is trying to put out a ready to go shotgun with a few glaring shortcomings, the number 1 choice Benelli (who could not care less about us), and Remington (whose products have fallen really out of favor).

Is it really that freaking hard to build a shotgun that holds lots of shells and runs?

Oh and Mikey is spot on, the runs with puking shotguns are left on the cutting room floor.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
This gun will work for 3 gun and lots of folks are buying them because of the cost. They are gas guns as compared to the inertia driven Benelli guns so there are inherently more places for things to malfunction.

Benelli's aren't fool proof either but they require the least amount of attention.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Not trying to hijack but why isn't the Saiga popular in 3 gun?
I don't know very much about 3 but it seems like it'd be faster changing a mag than loading shells.
I know many have found them unreliable, but if they were worked over by someone like Tromix, why not?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
[quote author=Wall link=topic=156.msg1339#msg1339 date=1285852856]
Not trying to hijack but why isn't the Saiga popular in 3 gun?
I don't know very much about 3 but it seems like it'd be faster changing a mag than loading shells.
I know many have found them unreliable, but if they were worked over by someone like Tromix, why not?
[/quote]

Saiga's are becoming more and more popular. The big problem is reliabilty. The two biggest names on the 3 gun saiga scene are R&R Racing out of the NW and Firebird Precision out of AZ. These guys make a Saiga that operates like an AR but I still see the guys shooting them having to tug on the charging handle too often.
Eventually someone will get them so that they run and win.

Kelly Raglin is shooting and R&R racing gun.

Oh yeah and they can only be shot in Open Division which limits their usage too. A $3k Saiga, $4k pistol, and $2.5k rifle are out of most 3 gunners budget.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=156.msg1346#msg1346 date=1285855571]
Oh yeah and they can only be shot in Open Division which limits their usage too. A $3k Saiga, $4k pistol, and $2.5k rifle are out of most 3 gunners budget.
[/quote]

Wow, definately out of my price range.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
They are poorly put together imports that have to be extensively reworked to run well at all. Jesse named some real great builders, and if we got a true domestic manufacturer the quality would probably go up and you wouldn't have to deal with changing all the sporting junk out.

I really think they are a better mousetrap and therefore the future of practical shotgunning. When they really get sorted out I think they'll take over the open division and I'd like to see them allowed in tactical, tac-optics, limited whatever as well. Practical shooting should be all about the concept of advancement in firearms technology, not "well shotguns should be tube fed because that's just the way it always has been."

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
They are poorly put together imports that have to be extensively reworked to run well at all.  Jesse named some real great builders, and if we got a true domestic manufacturer the quality would probably go up and you wouldn't have to deal with changing all the sporting junk out.

I really think they are a better mousetrap and therefore the future of practical shotgunning.  When they really get sorted out I think they'll take over the open division and I'd like to see them allowed in tactical, tac-optics, limited whatever as well.  Practical shooting should be all about the concept of advancement in firearms technology, not "well shotguns should be tube fed because that's just the way it always has been."
You know, someone ought to drop that hint to the guys down at Loki.

Latest posts