First gun for someone with small hands

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Been teaching my girl friend to shoot and she is really into it. I've got a full sized 1911 that she can group like a pro on, but her hands are too small and can barely reach the trigger. Also tried a sig p238,but it's so snappy she can hardly hit anything.

Anyone got recommendations for a gun to try? I was thinking a Glock 19 might be good for her to shoot. Anything else?

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield xd seems to be easier for people with smaller hands than glock or m&p. The original xd service model is pretty close in size to a G19.

dennishoddy

Sig P938 in 9mm. Put Hogue grips on it to help control the recoil.
My wife has small hands. We rented several models, and the sig came out the winner.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Smith and Wesson model 10 with the original grips :) they are tiny and it's a comfortable pistol to shoot. Later,

Kirk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
You could shoot an M&P without any back strap on it. If I remember correctly, that's what Lena Mickulek does.

bradigby

Active Fanatic
My old lady liked my 1911 except the weight. She didnt like my dads glock 19 trigger after starting with 1911. She settled with a full size XDm in 9mm and loves it.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
bradigby said:
My old lady liked my 1911 except the weight. She didnt like my dads glock 19 trigger after starting with 1911. She settled with a full size XDm in 9mm and loves it.
She likes my 1911 but can barely get her hands around it. She had to pull the trigger with the tip of her finger. Lol

I had a XD for awhile a few years ago and this reminded me how small the grip was. Good gun, so probably a good one to check out.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Adam Striegel said:
She likes my 1911 but can barely get her hands around it. She had to pull the trigger with the tip of her finger.
Take the grips off of the 1911 and see how that fits. If she's gripping it better like that, then get some thin grips and switch to a medium or short trigger to get the pad of her index finger on the face of the trigger

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Take the grips off of the 1911 and see how that fits. If she's gripping it better like that, then get some thin grips and switch to a medium or short trigger to get the pad of her index finger on the face of the trigger
Going to put the flush backstrap back on and the factory grips to see if that makes enough of a difference. She has really tiny hands though, not sure if that will do it. Lol