Fiber Optic sights on a Colt M1991A1 slide

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
So what needs to happen so I can get some fiber optic sights (front sight in particular) installed on my Colt 1991 slide? The front site is staked in and it appears the slide isn't cut to add any other type of sight. I love the Truglo's on my Glock.

truglo makes a front stake on for 1911's but as much work as the stake on takes, youre best to cut for a dovetail. and put a good set of FO sights on. Never seen a FO rear for the Gi cut.
Once you restake a front sight, its seldom as strong as the one thats replacing it., thats why I dont do them, unless its a restoration type thing and the owner wants the slide to stay staked on.
If I were you, Argyle, Id put a dollop of some bright paint on the front sight and try that

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
haha! I'm so used to shooting with blacked out sights I'm fine with the black front sight I have now. However, when I shot the match last week with my G26 w/Truglo's I fell in love.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I didn't plan on the sight thing. Oh well, I'll just leave 'em be.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I think we told him that " make a plan" thing awhile back.

Live and learn

White Testors model paint... A little fingernail polish remover and a toothpick does wonders for 1911 sights.... $2 Hobby Lobby.

Most 1911 guys figure out that melts, dehorn jobs, new beaver tails get done before the refinish. I've known guys to carry a gun "in the white" for days while they get things just right.

Latest posts